cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTTP API to retrieve file comments info

HTTP API to retrieve file comments info

alfoto
New member | Level 2

I would need to know if it is possible to retrieve the comments written for a shared file (comment and position) and if it is possible to upload new comments or answers from a desktop application using CURL. Haven't found at the API list. 

Thanks.

49 Replies 49

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
The Dropbox API doesn't offer the ability to access or add comments unfortunately, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request.

alfoto
New member | Level 2

Greg, thanks your your prompt answer. 

Yes, it would be great to have this feature. Thanks. 

aschulman
New member | Level 2

Definitely need programmatic access to comments: ability to retrieve so that reports can be generated (and this includes reports incorporating comments, and the text snippets they are commenting on, across multiple files), and ability to pull comments in from other sources.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the additional feedback!

Jeremiah A.2
Helpful | Level 6

Greg - any update on this after a year?  The need to get comments (user generated content) when collaborating on a project is really important.  And copy paste for anything over a few files is pretty inadequate.  

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Jeremiah A.2 No, I'm afraid I don't have an update on this request.

ampinwatec
Explorer | Level 4

Hi.

We use the comments to gather information about changes needed in PDF files.

Having an API to take these comments out and put them into another system would help us alot ! I do this manually right now.

Anything new on this? Seems to be a relativly small change, for a start I could do with just getting comments?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@ampinwatec No, unfortunately I don't have any news on this.

ampinwatec
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, 

Thanks for the quick response.

Can you try to poke around and see if anyone even know about this feature request? 🙂 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    AngelBlot Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?