cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTTP API to retrieve file comments info

HTTP API to retrieve file comments info

alfoto
New member | Level 2

I would need to know if it is possible to retrieve the comments written for a shared file (comment and position) and if it is possible to upload new comments or answers from a desktop application using CURL. Haven't found at the API list. 

Thanks.

49 Replies 49

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@ampinwatec No, unfortunately I don't have any news on this.

bpfister777
New member | Level 2

I too desperately need a way to view/sort/export comments. My team has been commenting on PDFs (25,000ish so far) with the hopes that comments can be accessed or at the minimum opening the API to allow our developers pull out that data.

Would be a monumental game changer for us.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@bpfister777 Thanks for the feedback! I don't have any news on this unfortunately, but I'll follow up here if/when I do.

kylea
Dropbox Staff

Note that for Dropbox teams using the Business APIs, the get_events endpoint does return comment events.

rpeyron
New member | Level 2

It seems that there is an undocumented API for that /comments2/list_comments/. Here is a very basic sample to demonstrate : https://rpeyron.github.io/dropbox-comments-downloader/dropbox-comments-downloader.html

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Please keep in mind that undocumented/private APIs are subject to change without notice, and so should not be used by third party apps.

aviennas
Helpful | Level 5

Hello! Offering access to comments will cover an additional requirement, that of using comments as a replacement for file/folder description. I know this is not good design but if there is a desperate need to store a brief title for a document, that is the closest structure to rely on.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@aviennas Thanks for the additional feedback!

dwissing
Explorer | Level 4

Greetings...  Another user here who would really like to be able to access PDF comments from the API.  This would greatly improve the usefulness to my team.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@dwissing Thanks for the note!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    AngelBlot Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?