cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I find which user is running local installed drop box application in windows platform.

How can I find which user is running local installed drop box application in windows platform.

swapnil s.
New member | Level 1

We are developing client server file sharing using drop box, where server take responsibility to download/upload/dbx management responsibility. But there are some situations where client has to find who is logged in local windows drop box application? What is current drop box folder location if it is set from preferences. Can anyone give suggestion?

4 Replies 4

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 7

@swapnil s. : IMHO If you cant find the folder location of the application, I would suspect you wont have a show of creating a client server file sharing system with DB. Signed %appdata%\dropbox\bin\dropbox.exe 😛

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

This help article details how you can programmatically find the local Dropbox folder path(s):

https://www.dropbox.com/help/4584

swapnil s.
New member | Level 1

Thank you for reply.
I think I was not able to explain the scenario properly.
Scenario:
My server authenticate drop box account, when our user register with us. We store its auth key in database.
My client only uses local drop box folder on windows machine to copy the files. So DBX automatically upload or download the files with DBX server.But problem is , how can I come to know that my local drop box account user is same as server drop box user. I mean can I use any API from drop box and cross check. The %APPDATA%\Dropbox\info.json file do contain the "host" field, Can I use this.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately, there isn't currently a way to convert the host ID to a user ID, but I'll be sure to pass this along as feedback.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    swapnil s. New member | Level 1
    Dave C.5 Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?