cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I restrict document types using the iOS 8 Document Picker?

How do I restrict document types using the iOS 8 Document Picker?

Doug H.2
New member | Level 1

I'm using the iOS 8 Document Picker in my iOS app.

UIDocumentMenuViewController

I pass in an array of supported filetypes via the initializer:

-[UIDocumentMenuViewController initWithDocumentTypes:inMode:]

All the other document pickers filter out unspecified document types and only show the ones specified by the Document Types parameter. The following pickers have been tested and work according to the API documentation:

iCloud & Google Drive

However, the Dropbox picker shows all files no matter what supported types I specify.

1. Is there a way to filter document types with this picker?
  2. If this is a bug, is there an ETA on when this might be fixed?

Thanks.

Doug Hill
doug.hill@chartcube.com
http://chartcube.com/

8 Replies 8

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Apologies for the delay. I'm looking into this and will follow up once I have some more information.

Brendan D.
Explorer | Level 4

I also have this problem. I need to show the user ONLY .zip files and I'm getting all files instead. It's like the document types being sent to the UIDocumentMenuViewController aren't being passed along to the UIDocumentPickerViewController after you select a service.

An update would be great to solve this problem.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Quick update, we've confirmed this is a bug in the app. I don't have a timeline for a fix right now though.

Brendan D.
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the confirmation. So when the app gets updated then this will just work for my customers? In the mean time I've put in a file type check that I do after the user has downloaded the file to tell them if it's the right file type or not. Not very elegant, but it works.

Further to this, is it possible to restrict the Dropbox folder that's initially displayed via the UIDocumentPickerViewController? Like say if I want to show the contents of a subfolder instead of the root folder.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I believe once an updated version of the Dropbox app with a fix for this issue is released, this will work as expected without any update required from the calling side.

Also, I don't think it's possible to specify the folder to display, as I don't see a way to specify this in UIDocumentMenuViewController itself.

Andy G.2
New member | Level 1

Thanks for working on this - I'm also getting this issue. I look forward to a fix!

Xiang C.
New member | Level 1

come on, 4 months later, still no fix?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi all, thanks for your patience and apologies for the lack of updates on this thread. I just checked on this and I believe this should be fixed in the next version of the iOS app.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Xiang C. New member | Level 1
    Andy G.2 New member | Level 1
    Brendan D. Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?