cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access (read/write) advanced file EXIF/metadata in the Dropbox JavaScript API?

How to access (read/write) advanced file EXIF/metadata in the Dropbox JavaScript API?

Mesqueeb
Helpful | Level 6

How to access (read/write) advanced file metadata in the Dropbox JavaScript API?

I'm talking about things like: MacOS file tags. I think they are stored in the file's EXIF data.

If I can retrieve a valid file-blob from the JS API then maybe I can use a JS plugin that can extract EXIF data from a blob, like this plugin.

But it would be best if I could retrieve advanced metadata native in the Javascript API.

Any ideas?

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

[Cross-linking for reference: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43164908/how-to-access-read-write-advanced-file-exif-metadata-in... ]

The Dropbox API unfortunately doesn't natively return Mac OS file metadata/xattrs, or the full EXIF information for a file, but I'll be sure to pass these along as a feature requests. The Dropbox API currently only natively returns a few pieces of basic media information in FilesFileMetadata.media_info, e.g., if you set FilesGetMetadataArg.include_media_info to true when calling filesGetMetadata or filesListFolder/filesListFolderContinue.

To get any other metadata embedded in the file content, you'll need to download the file content and parse it out client-side.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?