cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Error 500 when uploading files using temporary upload links (API v2)

Intermittent Error 500 when uploading files using temporary upload links (API v2)

sebbelese
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I use the API v2 to get temporary upload links for a bunch of files, then they are uploaded to dropbox using POST requests.

Most of the files upload OK, but I get error 500 for some files. I am beginner with js, so the issue may be on my side, but the code 500 means server error. Several files are uploaded at the same time (most of them successfully), which may be the cause of the issue.

See below some request IDs if useful:

ERROR upload fail. Status 500
Response header: content-type: application/json
x-dropbox-request-id: 1ec048e8992cf7ff2a97e2ffc2d23327

x-dropbox-request-id: 906d4645a06831bf602eb1a3372a73d8

x-dropbox-request-id: f3eb5ddbbae94be4bed6906cbca03f5e

Thanks for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the report! I just looked into this based on the request IDs, and this is due to "lock contention". You can find more information on that in the Data Ingress Guide. That guide refers to the standard API endpoints, but the same applies to temporary upload links too. We should certainly return a better error message in this case though, so I'll ask the team to update the server to do so.

Anyway, to avoid this, you should perform these uploads one at a time.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the report! I just looked into this based on the request IDs, and this is due to "lock contention". You can find more information on that in the Data Ingress Guide. That guide refers to the standard API endpoints, but the same applies to temporary upload links too. We should certainly return a better error message in this case though, so I'll ask the team to update the server to do so.

Anyway, to avoid this, you should perform these uploads one at a time.

sebbelese
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the fast and clear answer.

I guess there is currently no way to upload a whole set of files together directly from a browser while not sharing the access token publicly. Are the following options the only ones?

- generate an upload link server-side for each file, then direct upload each file serially to avoid locks

- upload all files from the client to the web server, then upload batch from the server to dropbox

- ( direct upload batch from the client to dropbox, with the access token publicly shared )

Thanks

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, that's correct. I'll pass this along as a feature request, but I can't promise if or when that might be implemented. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    sebbelese Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?