cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is it possible to create a shared app using API?

Is it possible to create a shared app using API?

squish
New member | Level 2

I am trying to create a project monitoring system that multiple people can access and edit using an API in Dropbox. I've been able to create the app, but it's in my personal Dropbox folder and not somewhere that my team can access it. I tried sharing the folder with my team, but it will only let me share with a link, which does not seem to allow my teammates to make changes. Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this? Thanks!

3 Replies 3

DBX_Robert
Dropbox Staff

Hi,

I want to make sure I correctly understand the integration your describing before I propose any suggestions.

Is the goal for all of the users of the project monitoring system to be accessing the same underlying information stored in Dropbox?

Are all users of the monitoring system supposed to be part of the same dropbox team?  If not, do all users all have personal Dropbox accounts?

squish
New member | Level 2

Sorry, I'm pretty new to this, so I don't know how to describe the problem very well.

You've got it exactly right - the goal is for all users of the monitoring system to be able to access all information. I'll give a little more information: I have a number of project monitors, and I've split their projects into individual Excel tables that they update monthly. I want to link these individual tables into one big table using Excel's Power Query feature so that I can see all of my information in one place and use that for reporting purposes. When I tried to set up the system initially using Power Query, I ran into the problem of all data sources being linked to my hard drive, so others on my team couldn't refresh or update the queries, even though they can access the source data stored in Dropbox. The crowd-sourced solution to this problem was to create an API in Dropbox to get around the problem of source data being stored in my hard drive. 

I followed the steps outlined here: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/06/25/import-multiple-files-dropbox-folder-powerbi-excel-via-pow... and it would have worked out just fine if we only had one user, but others need to be able to update and refresh the table I'm trying to create. But I can't figure out how to create a shared app or find a way to allow my teammates full access to the tool I'm trying to build.

And yes, we are all on the same Dropbox Business team.

DBX_Robert
Dropbox Staff

I am not familiar with Excel Power Query, but it may be possible to solve this without writing a custom integration.  Have you tried sharing the content with your colleagues with a normal Dropbox shared folder?  If the shared folder is configured to all editing, each user should be able to access the same shared set of excel files and be able to both read and write the same files.

Need more support?