cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to set client_modified on an existing file in v2 API?

Is it possible to set client_modified on an existing file in v2 API?

ncw
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Being able to set client_modified on an existing file would be really helpful for rclone.

I looked through the API methods and couldn't see a way but I'm hoping I missed it!

Thanks

Nick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Just to be clear, I've sent this feature request along, but I can't promise if/when it might be implemented.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Alexandra F.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It's not currently possible to override the client_modified value set by the client using the API, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request.

bliang
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there any update on this feature request?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The upload endpoints, such as /2/files/upload, do now allow you to explicitly set `client_modified` when uploading a new version of a file. 

For reference, do you need to be able to do so without uploading a new version?

ncw
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

> For reference, do you need to be able to do so without uploading a new version?

Yes that would be ideal.

Rclone uses `client_modified` to save the modification times of files.  If a user just does `touch file` then it would be nice to be able to just set the `client_modified` without upload the whole file again.

At the moment rclone will upload the whole file again just to set the modification time which is a bit wasteful.  Perhaps there is a better way?

Thanks

Nick

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@ncw Thanks for the context! There isn't a way to that on the Dropbox API unfortunately, but I'll send it along as a feature request.

ncw
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Related to that...  If you actually want to upload a the same file with a different `client_modified`, you have to delete the existing file first.

If you don't delete the existing file first, then the upload succeeds, but somehow it has the old `client_modified`, not the new one you just specified in your upload.

I suspect this is upload process checking the hash and noting that the file content is the same after the upload and deciding not to do anything further with the data.

You can work around this by deleting the file first (which is what rclone does) but this isn't ideal as it makes data loss more likely if the transfer of the new file fails.

I'm not sure whether this is part of the same feature request, or whether it it a seperate bug report!

If you think it should be a bug report I'm happy to write it up in more detail with some HTTP API transactions to show exactly what is going on.

Thanks

Nick

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@ncw That behavior is expected. From the /2/files/upload WriteMode docs:

"If the target path refers to a file with identical contents, nothing gets written; no conflict."

ncw
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I see - thank you for explaining. I don't like this design choice, but it is documented so I'll live with it 🙂

Looking forward to an API to set the client_modified time!

Thanks for your help @Greg-DB

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Just to be clear, I've sent this feature request along, but I can't promise if/when it might be implemented.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    ncw Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?