cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is the server modified date updated with permission changes?

Is the server modified date updated with permission changes?

Hans-Peter
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Pretty much just the title.

When I get the file metadata (with files/get_metadata or files/list_folder), I get a server_modified, which seems to be just a more sensitive variant of the client_modified timestamp (so client_modified only changes when the content of the file changed while server_modified changes with moves, renames etc.), but does the server modified timestamp also update on permission changes? Because I used to think it does, but I'm currently testing it and it infact doesn't seem to be the case? Is this normal and was it always this way?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TaylorKrusen
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello,

Files moves and renames are update the `server_modified` property because they are making changes to the file. Changes to permission are not considered direct changes to the file so the field doesn't get updated. 

To my knowledge, behavior has not been recently changed.

One small caveat: some permission changes, like sharing a folder that contains the file, will actually move (or otherwise modify) the file under-the-hood which cause an update to `server_modified` on that file. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

TaylorKrusen
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello,

Files moves and renames are update the `server_modified` property because they are making changes to the file. Changes to permission are not considered direct changes to the file so the field doesn't get updated. 

To my knowledge, behavior has not been recently changed.

One small caveat: some permission changes, like sharing a folder that contains the file, will actually move (or otherwise modify) the file under-the-hood which cause an update to `server_modified` on that file. 

Need more support?