cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just curious

Just curious

marksmithhfx
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I finally have a version of my application (note, its not a web app, just a regular compiled app) that I've migrated from LL access tokens to SL access tokens. I don't have it working with refresh tokens yet, that'll be the next step. But I've noticed that sometimes when I get asked to request a new access token (because the current one has expired), I click a few buttons on the confirmation screen and it sends me a new token without asking for my credentials (ie. no login screen). It happens in about 1 in 10 attempts. Is this typical work flow or is something weird going on? Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@marksmithhfx Dropbox doesn't offer an option like that, but you can share ideas here.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @marksmithhfx,

I suppose, you haven't logged out of your Dropbox account in your web browser and haven't forced reauthentication (it's so by default). In this context - Yes, it's something normal. 😉

marksmithhfx
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I see. Thanks

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@marksmithhfx That's correct, if you're already signed in, you won't be prompted to do so again. You can require sign in again by setting 'force_reauthentication=true' if necessary. Note that this is disruptive though (as it signs out the current Dropbox web session), so it should only be used for good reason.

Also, under certain conditions, if you're signed in and you've already authorized the app, you will not be prompted to explicitly click "Allow" to do so again. You can disable this behavior with 'force_reapprove=true' if you wish to.

marksmithhfx
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

BTW, is it possible to get biometric recognition for the Dropbox user authentication (facial or fingerprint) rather than monotonously type in your username and password (ie. I hate giving out my facebook or google account information, and I presume many other are too. It just ends up in someone's email list that bombs you with adverts). Biometric recognition would be much faster and less error prone. I am a long way off from getting refresh tokens working (for reasons I'd rather not go into) so I see this as a possible stop-gap measure to make life easier for my users. 

Thanks

Mark

marksmithhfx
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks on that point. I wasn't aware of any other sign-ins going on at the same time. But it's possible since I am on multiple devices and testing from multiple versions of the same app on each. Somewhere in there DB probably sees me as already signed in. That does explain the occasional unusual token hand-off. 

Appreciate the quick response. Cheers,

Mark

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@marksmithhfx Dropbox doesn't offer an option like that, but you can share ideas here.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    marksmithhfx Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?