cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Paper API - how to query "old" paper docs with the "new" 2020 API

Paper API - how to query "old" paper docs with the "new" 2020 API

mitko-slapdash
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello, we're building an integration of Dropbox Paper to our service - many dropbox paper users have requested it.
Seems that Dropbox Paper itself is being migrated from its own place of paper.dropbox.com to having `.paper` files inside Dropbox itself. That itself is all cool but I'm having trouble figuring which API to use to support our current users without having to build two different APIs - since the `/paper` endpoints are going to be removed in a month.

Here are some functionality I'm looking to support:
- when a user connects Dropbox with OAuth2, we need to be able to query all their Dropbox Paper. How do we do that for legacy users who have been around before Sep 25 2019, without using the deprecated endpoints. Where would the .paper docs be migrated to, i.e. under which path?
-  How do I query for the .paper file contents? We need those to help our users with full text search functionality. The migration guide suggests /files/export but that endpoint seems deprecated.

Best regards, I worked at Dropbox at 2012, and have seen some of the early versions of what came to be Dropbox Paper - great to see it has gone a long way!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
when a user connects Dropbox with OAuth2, we need to be able to query all their Dropbox Paper. How do we do that for legacy users who have been around before Sep 25 2019, without using the deprecated endpoints.

Right now, the only way to programmatically access Paper docs for users that haven't been migrated (i.e., not .paper files), is to use the old endpoints. While they're marked deprecated, they are still available to use for this.

Where would the .paper docs be migrated to, i.e. under which path?

I don't have specifics to share like this right now, such as the exact path(s) for migrated docs. Note that users can move around .paper files anyway though, so I don't recommend relying on them being under a particular path. You'll want to be able to handle them anywhere, e.g., by listing them using /2/files/list_folder[/continue], like you would with normal files.

How do I query for the .paper file contents? We need those to help our users with full text search functionality. The migration guide suggests /files/export but that endpoint seems deprecated.

To retrieve the content of Paper docs from .paper files, you should use /2/files/export. That's not marked deprecated though. Did you see it set as deprecated somewhere? Please let me know if so, so we can fix that up. Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
when a user connects Dropbox with OAuth2, we need to be able to query all their Dropbox Paper. How do we do that for legacy users who have been around before Sep 25 2019, without using the deprecated endpoints.

Right now, the only way to programmatically access Paper docs for users that haven't been migrated (i.e., not .paper files), is to use the old endpoints. While they're marked deprecated, they are still available to use for this.

Where would the .paper docs be migrated to, i.e. under which path?

I don't have specifics to share like this right now, such as the exact path(s) for migrated docs. Note that users can move around .paper files anyway though, so I don't recommend relying on them being under a particular path. You'll want to be able to handle them anywhere, e.g., by listing them using /2/files/list_folder[/continue], like you would with normal files.

How do I query for the .paper file contents? We need those to help our users with full text search functionality. The migration guide suggests /files/export but that endpoint seems deprecated.

To retrieve the content of Paper docs from .paper files, you should use /2/files/export. That's not marked deprecated though. Did you see it set as deprecated somewhere? Please let me know if so, so we can fix that up. Thanks!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Quick update: we have extended the timeline for this: https://www.dropbox.com/lp/developers/reference/paper-migration-guide

Also, you can find some more information on how the migration works here: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/paper/paper-2020-faqs

Need more support?