cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SearchV2 cursor update

SearchV2 cursor update

Jon B.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Just a quick question about the /search and /search/continue endpoints...

I want to search for all files with a particular extension, and get notified of any updates.  Do the cursors returned by /search and /search/continue behave the same as the /list_folder/continue cursors, in that they will continue to return new additions which satisfy the search?  And do those updates include DeletedMetadata on previous search results which have since been deleted?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No, the cursors returned by the search endpoints are meant for pagination and do not promise to track changes over time. Also, the search endpoints require some query, so they don't support just searching for all files of a particular file type anyway, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

That being the case, it sounds like for your use case you should use the /2/files/list_folder[/continue] functionality to list/track entries and filter the results as desired client-side.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon B.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Footnote:  for the record, I mean search V2, not V1!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No, the cursors returned by the search endpoints are meant for pagination and do not promise to track changes over time. Also, the search endpoints require some query, so they don't support just searching for all files of a particular file type anyway, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

That being the case, it sounds like for your use case you should use the /2/files/list_folder[/continue] functionality to list/track entries and filter the results as desired client-side.

Jon B.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

So do a complete recursive directory listing at the same time as the initial find, and then just track the updates and filter them for files which match...  yeah, that's doable!  Thanks.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jon B.1 Collaborator | Level 9
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?