cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set expiration of streamble link via /media

Set expiration of streamble link via /media

Niko H.
New member | Level 1

Hey there,

I'm using the Dropbox PHP SDK to create a streamable link via the /media API reference, by calling createTemporaryDirectLink($path) in PHP.
Is there any chance to influence the lifetime of the link I get? Or at least something to doublecheck how long the created link will be available?
Would be awesome!

Thanks in advance,
Niko

12 Replies 12

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Rafal, it sounds like you mean you'd be scraping the web site. This isn't supported, and is likely to break. (It's also against the terms.)

Instead, if you need a long lived direct link to a file, you should use the method described previously. Call /shares with short_url=false, and modify the link as shown in https://www.dropbox.com/help/201 .

If this isn't what you're trying to do, I recommend opening a new thread with the specifics of your use case/question.

Rafal R.1
New member | Level 1

Ah I did no know that. I will try the share option and convert the URL to the long expiry one. Do you know how long they stay alive for? 

I'm basically trying to get a direct URL for an image which will last longer than 4h. 6 months - 1 year trough your API.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Shared links are valid until the user revokes them, either explicitly via https://www.dropbox.com/links or implicitly by moving or deleting the file.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Rafal R.1 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?