cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Folder For All Users, But Without Access To It

Shared Folder For All Users, But Without Access To It

ref2111
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello!

I want to make an app that uses a shared data base. As I experimented with the SwiftDropbox SDK, I learned that an app folder is created for every user.

Can I use Dropbox, so that every new user linked to my app gets access to the same folder, but can only read and write, but not delete the files?

Thank you!

Raphael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The API was designed with the intention that each user would link their own Dropbox account, in order to interact with their own files (e.g., in their own app folder). It is technically possible to connect to just one account though. The SDKs don't offer explicit support for it and we don't usually recommend doing so, for various technical and security reasons. 

The Dropbox API does not offer a permission level where users can read/write but not delete.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The API was designed with the intention that each user would link their own Dropbox account, in order to interact with their own files (e.g., in their own app folder). It is technically possible to connect to just one account though. The SDKs don't offer explicit support for it and we don't usually recommend doing so, for various technical and security reasons. 

The Dropbox API does not offer a permission level where users can read/write but not delete.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?