cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sign in - There was a problem completing this request (Android Device)

Sign in - There was a problem completing this request (Android Device)

johnWang
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I can't sign in to dropbox on my Android device. I can sign in through the browser no problem, but on Android App embeded browser(WebView) I always get the message "problem completing request" as shown in the attached screenshot(In April, it was no problem). I am using Android 8.0. I had test on Macbook (Chrome & Safari) successfully.

螢幕快照 2020-09-09 上午9.29.00.png

I am using this url on browser

https://www.dropbox.com/1/oauth2/authorize?
client_id=xxxxxxxxxxxx&
response_type=code&
redirect_uri=https://www.localhost.com&
state=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Can anyone help me successfully sign in? Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for sharing this. First, please note that you should not use a webview for the Dropbox app authorization flow, per our /oauth2/authorize documentation

As for the issue, it looks like it's because it's using an old browser engine, e.g., an old version of Webkit. Unfortunately that is not officially supported by the Dropbox web site

Old browsers/engines like this are not officially supported by Dropbox and so may be prone to issues as the Dropbox web site is updated. (This is one of the reasons for our policy prohibiting webviews; we've found webviews are more prone to compatibility issues like this.) For example, it's likely that there's some JavaScript error or incompatibility when attempting to access the Dropbox web site form in this webview, causing the sign in form to fail, as you're seeing. 

Since that isn't supported, I'm afraid we can't offer fixes for issues like this. I recommend you instead upgrade to a supported system browser to resolve this.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @johnWang, thanks for posting today!

It sounds like there might be an issue with the connection itself. Could you try switching browsers to see if this helps? 

Otherwise, use incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running, clearing your cache and even resetting your browser entirely. 

If it still doesn't work, there is a possibility that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

johnWang
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi  , thanks for reply.

Sorry my post is not clean. I am Android App developer, and I had developed Android App with Dropbox service. 

I am using below url provide user to login Dropbox account

https://www.dropbox.com/1/oauth2/authorize?
client_id=xxxxxxxxxxx&
response_type=code&
redirect_uri=https://www.localhost.com&
state=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

But now is fail (Error message : There was a problem completing this request) when I login Dropbox account & password for testing. 

In April, this function was work successfully.

I had test some case

(1) My App with Android Embedded browser(WebView) to open url and login Dropbox account ========> Fail

(2) Android device with original browser to open url and login Dropbox account ========> Success

(3) Macbook with browser (Safari & Chrome) to open url and login Dropbox account ========> Success

Can you help me successfully sign in? Thanks in advance!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the info, I'll forward it to the appropriate forum for the team to assist further.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for sharing this. First, please note that you should not use a webview for the Dropbox app authorization flow, per our /oauth2/authorize documentation

As for the issue, it looks like it's because it's using an old browser engine, e.g., an old version of Webkit. Unfortunately that is not officially supported by the Dropbox web site

Old browsers/engines like this are not officially supported by Dropbox and so may be prone to issues as the Dropbox web site is updated. (This is one of the reasons for our policy prohibiting webviews; we've found webviews are more prone to compatibility issues like this.) For example, it's likely that there's some JavaScript error or incompatibility when attempting to access the Dropbox web site form in this webview, causing the sign in form to fail, as you're seeing. 

Since that isn't supported, I'm afraid we can't offer fixes for issues like this. I recommend you instead upgrade to a supported system browser to resolve this.

johnWang
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi @Greg-DB , thanks your reply & support.

I find the issue that I set wrong user agent.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

johnWang Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?