cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing a folder directly on to Dropbox.com without using the Dropbox App on the PC

Syncing a folder directly on to Dropbox.com without using the Dropbox App on the PC

RudyVDW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have already a Selective Sync set on my PC to Dropbox for certain folders.

However, I want to keep operating a separate external drive directly to dropbox.com without the use of the Dropbox App because I want to avoid all those files to end up on my PC file explorer (limiting my memory capacity) as is the case when using the App.

I'd appreciate some advise on how to proceed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@RudyVDW If you're an end-user of a third party app, such as "Allways Sync", that connects to Dropbox, you should not have to manually contact or register anything with Dropbox to set it up. The developer should register the app themselves, and build the ability to connect your account to the third party app. (This would be done by the "OAuth" process you mentioned, which the developer should build into the third party app.) You may wish to contact the developer to ask them to do so. (The third party developer can contact us directly if they're having any issues with the Dropbox API.)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @RudyVDW, thanks for messaging the Community!

Currently, it isn't possible to sync an external drive to Dropbox, without using the Dropbox folder or the Dropbox desktop application.

However, there may be a third party app or service that can help with this matter. Additionally, you'd need to use selective sync again on the new folder created to prevent the external drive syncing to the Dropbox folder.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RudyVDW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you for your answer.

In fact, when trying to use my App "Allways Sync" it tells me that I need to obtain an Oauth from Dropbox to proceed (Open Authorization).

I have sent a request to DropBox contact and waiting for the reply.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

As this is referring to an API request, I've moved your request to the API forum for the team there to assist.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@RudyVDW If you're an end-user of a third party app, such as "Allways Sync", that connects to Dropbox, you should not have to manually contact or register anything with Dropbox to set it up. The developer should register the app themselves, and build the ability to connect your account to the third party app. (This would be done by the "OAuth" process you mentioned, which the developer should build into the third party app.) You may wish to contact the developer to ask them to do so. (The third party developer can contact us directly if they're having any issues with the Dropbox API.)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    RudyVDW Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?