cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Transfer data between Dropbox and S3

Transfer data between Dropbox and S3

jerrydreamforum
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I have a newbie question:

* Is it possible to transfer data from S3 to Dropbox and vice versa, ideally programmatically in Python. It would be great, if possible, to achieve it without the need to download to a local machine and then sync/upload, as the files might be huge.

* If it is doable, what is the best plan? Does Dropbox plus work fine?

Thank you very much!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We can't provide support for S3 itself, but if you can get a link to a file on S3, you could then pass that link to /2/files/save_url to save the linked file to Dropbox, without downloading it locally. That's available as files_save_url in the official Dropbox API v2 Python SDK.

That can be used by any kind of Dropbox account, so any plan would be fine. You'd just need to consider how much storage space you need.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We can't provide support for S3 itself, but if you can get a link to a file on S3, you could then pass that link to /2/files/save_url to save the linked file to Dropbox, without downloading it locally. That's available as files_save_url in the official Dropbox API v2 Python SDK.

That can be used by any kind of Dropbox account, so any plan would be fine. You'd just need to consider how much storage space you need.

ygnmax
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I have a huge database (total size is more than 200T), which is stored on Amazon AWS S3, and I want to transfer that data from AWS S3 to Dropbox business. Is there any effective and efficient way to achieve it?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@ygnmax We don't have anything built specifically for S3 like this, so if you're a programmer and want to write something to do this, the method in my previous comment would probably be a good option to use.

Kirsten2001
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi. If you don't mind me asking, did you find a solution for this?

Need more support?