cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to connect Power BI Desktop with Dropbox

Unable to connect Power BI Desktop with Dropbox

amarbl
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I have an excel spreadsheet in Dropbox that I would like to load in the Power BI

Desktop. I am unable to connect Power BI Desktop with Dropbox.

This is what I did-

I created an app in Dropbox and then generated an app token that has access to all the folders in Dropbox.

Then I used the Web Connector in the Power BI Desktop with the v2 API URL

URL: https://content.dropboxapi.com/2/files/download

HTTP Header

Authorization : Bearer api_token

Dropbox-API-Arg : {\"path\": \"/folder/file.xslx\"}"

enter image description here

Once I click on Ok, I get a 400 Error that says "Web.Contents failed to get contents from 'https://content.dropboxapi.com/2/files/download' (400): Bad Request"

enter image description here

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Can you print the response body for the 400 error? It should contain a more useful error message.

heimk008
New member | Level 2

I am getting the exact same issue... 

for the "Dropbox-API-Arg" i have : {\"path\": \"/PR Team/MASTER PR Media NEW.xlsm\"}" 

- first of all is that correct if the folder name is PR Team and the file is called MASTER PR Media NEW.xlsm

-second you asked for the response body for the 400 error, how do I access that? 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
That path value itself appears correct. (The '\' characters would be to escape the '"' characters, but that may or may not be necessary depending on your client/environment.)

Getting the response body is the right way to begin debugging this. Exactly how you do so depends on the particular HTTP client you're using though, so I'm afraid I can't offer specific instructions if you're not using an official Dropbox SDK. You should refer to the documentation for your HTTP client for information on how to retrieve the response body.

shankar267
New member | Level 2

I have an excel spreadsheet in Dropbox that I would like to load in the Power Bi Desktop. I am not able to connect Power BI Desktop with Dropbox.

This is what I did-

I created an app in Dropbox and then generated an app token that has access to all the folders in Dropbox.

Then I used the Web Connector in the Power BI Desktop with the v2 API URL

URL: https://content.dropboxapi.com/2/files/download

HTTP Header

Authorization : Bearer api_token

Dropbox-API-Arg : {\"path\": \"/folder/file.xslx\"}"

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@shankar267 Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say you are "not able to connect Power BI Desktop with Dropbox"? What error or unexpected output do you get from the Dropbox API?

Need more support?