cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upload/Download files via API using AWS Lambda - Rate Limiting

Upload/Download files via API using AWS Lambda - Rate Limiting

Andrew N.8
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am designing a system to copy files to/from Dropbox via the HTTP API using AWS Lambda functions. 

We may be copying large quantities of files (up to 10,000 in a batch) using a single API key. As you may know, AWS Lambda can fire thousands of Lambda functions simultaneously. This could mean that the API gets hit with thousands of requests in a very short period of time (a window of a few seconds) I think I will probably start running into 429 responses (rate limiting) if we send this volume of requests to in such a short window. 

Does anyone know what the best practice would be for this use case? Is there a maximum number of simultaneous connections allowed by the Dropbox API?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Andrew N.8
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks. It sounds like I need to do some trial-and-error. Marking this solved - but I may be back 🙂

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
The Dropbox API does have a rate limiting system, but we don't have any specific numbers documented.

Also note that not all 429s and 503s indicate rate limiting, but in any case that you get a 429 or 503 the best practice is to retry the request, respecting the Retry-After header if given in the response, or using an exponential back-off, if not.

There's also a guide here that may be helpful:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/data-ingress-guide

Andrew N.8
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hey Greg,

Thanks for this info. 

I understand the exponential backoff and the Retry-After header, no problem.

I'm trying to understand what happens in a hypothetical situation in which a lot of Lambda functions fire in parallel. Let's say we have 200 functions all making API calls within a few seconds, and (hypothetically) the 143rd Lambda triggers rate limiting. The 144th through 200th functions will be already attempting to make API calls before the 143rd function could circulate a message that the other Lambda functions that they should not attempt API calls until after the time specified in the Retry-After header.

Will we be penalized in any way for the remaining functions (144-200) attempting to call Dropbox endpoints before the time specified in the Retry-After header in the response to 143?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
There's no accumulating penalty. The additional calls will just receive the 429 response with the Retry-After value. The Retry-After value is generally not more than a few minutes. (I believe the Retry-After value may effectively get reset with each rate limited call within the rate limiting window, but if they're all getting sent at the same time anyway like you describe, this shouldn't make any meaningful difference.)

By the way, for the upload case, make sure you read about "lock contention" in the data ingress guide I linked earlier. That has important information about a 429 error you can hit in that case, which isn't explicit rate limiting, and offers a solution.

Andrew N.8
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks. It sounds like I need to do some trial-and-error. Marking this solved - but I may be back 🙂

McLickin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Do you have a source to your system design that you would like to share?
Need more support?