cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why are the ids different?

Why are the ids different?

gilbertwulff
Explorer | Level 3

Im trying to use a shared folder link from a user to determine which folder they want us to upload a file into.

Why are the ids different for the same folders when I get folder metadata from the GetSharedLinkMetadataAsync method and the id that i get from the ListFolderAsync method?

I'm sure its the same folder. Is there another api call that i can use to get the shared folder id (from the shared folder link) or at least the same id?

image.pngimage.png

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
It sounds like the link was created by a different user than the one you're making these API calls for. In that case, the id on the link will be different than the id of the folder in the user's account. (Technically, this is because the id for the folder in the user's account is for the location in their own account where the shared folder is mounted, not the shared folder.)

Unfortunately I don't believe there's a good way to solve this using the link. Can you get the shared folder ID from the originating user in the first place instead?

gilbertwulff
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Greg. And no we wont be able to get the shared folder id from the originating user unless there is a way for us to grab that from the website? 

The reason why we're doing this is so that we can link a particular folder that was shared to us to specific users. Any suggestion from you on how we can tackle this?

Right now i'm trying to use the id from the shared file metadata api and compare it to a list of folder ids i have in my dropbox account

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No, unfortunately you can't get the shared folder ID from a shared link for the folder using the API or from the website. Further, you can't actually guarantee that the user is giving you the correct link anyway, or that you were actually invited to the shared folder for the shared link they gave you.

Instead, you might want to call /2/sharing/list_mountable_folders[/continue] to list the shared folders that have been shared with you that you haven't mounted yet. (Or /2/sharing/list_folders[/continue] for those that you did mount.) You can also then call /2/sharing/list_folder_members[/continue] to see what other users are members of them.

gilbertwulff
Explorer | Level 3

Yeap im actually using the mount folder thing already but thank you for your help tho Greg

Need more support?