cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Won't build via carthage with Xcode 12

Won't build via carthage with Xcode 12

meadowsr
Explorer | Level 4

Updated to macOS Catalina and Xcode 12 (GM).  Went to re-build SwiftyDropbox via carthage and got a build failure:

% carthage update --platform iOS
*** Fetching SwiftyDropbox
*** Fetching Alamofire
*** Checking out Alamofire at "4.9.1"
*** Checking out SwiftyDropbox at "5.1.0"
*** xcodebuild output can be found in /var/folders/_5/5l75kztx2js6d20w3rsyh45c0000gn/T/carthage-xcodebuild.vwNKbg.log
*** Building scheme "Alamofire iOS" in Alamofire.xcworkspace
Build Failed
	Task failed with exit code 1:
	/usr/bin/xcrun lipo -create /Users/randy/Library/Caches/org.carthage.CarthageKit/DerivedData/12.0_12A7209/Alamofire/4.9.1/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/Alamofire\ iOS/IntermediateBuildFilesPath/UninstalledProducts/iphoneos/Alamofire.framework/Alamofire /Users/randy/Library/Caches/org.carthage.CarthageKit/DerivedData/12.0_12A7209/Alamofire/4.9.1/Build/Products/Release-iphonesimulator/Alamofire.framework/Alamofire -output /Users/randy/projects/Colorado-CRS/Carthage/Build/iOS/Alamofire.framework/Alamofire

This usually indicates that project itself failed to compile. Please check the xcodebuild log for more details: /var/folders/_5/5l75kztx2js6d20w3rsyh45c0000gn/T/carthage-xcodebuild.vwNKbg.log

Worked OK on macOS Mojave and Xcode 11.3.1 immediately prior.  Anyone know if this is a known issue, or how I can get past it?

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the report! I just gave this a try on macOS Catalina with Xcode 12 GM though, and it didn't fail for me. Can you let me know what your Cartfile look likes and what version of Carthage you're using? Edit: disregard this. I can reproduce this issue now. It looks like my Carthage was still using an old version of Xcode when I first tried this.

Also, it looks like this may be the issue reported for Carthage here: https://github.com/Carthage/Carthage/issues/3019 . Can you try the workaround offered there? (Actually, it looks like there may be more than one to try, and it may depend on your project config.)

Anthony B.15
Explorer | Level 4

I'm seeing an identical issue since upgrading to Xcode 12. I thought it might have to do with Alamofire, but I don't see much in the build log. There is this warning, but not sure it's relevant:

warning: The iOS deployment target 'IPHONEOS_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET' is set to 8.0, but the range of supported deployment target versions is 9.0 to 14.0.99. (in target 'Alamofire iOS' from project 'Alamofire')

Please advise, if you figure anything out.

Anthony B.15
Explorer | Level 4

I saw on another thread that SwiftyDropbox is now available as a Swift Package (v 6.02). You can find it here:

https://github.com/dropbox/SwiftyDropbox

This is probably the way to go now.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Anthony B.15 SwiftyDropbox does now support Swift Package Manager, so you can use that to install it if you wish.

As for the error you received, it doesn't seem to be quite the same error as the original one in this thread, so it's likely not exactly the same issue. The error you received seems to indicate that your app is targeting an older version of iOS than is supported by Alamofire (which SwiftyDropbox uses), so you wouldn't be able to use SwiftyDropbox/Alamofire in that project unless you increase your deployment target.

Need more support?