cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to recognise files after un-assigning a dropbox account? (c#)

how to recognise files after un-assigning a dropbox account? (c#)

bramburn
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there,
After unassigning a dropbox account as it doesn't work very well with a few TB of data on dropbox, I've had build an app to sync the files instead of using the Dropbox app.

But now trying to sync these online is causing me an issue as most of the files that are on the computer are empty. (file size on disk 0byte). Is there a way other than using an exception Catch to identify if the file exists or if it is just a dropbox file shell?

Is there a way for me to identify these 0byte file shells using c#?

Also, I am hitting my API limit reasonably quickly as I am checking if each file exists on the dropbox cloud before I upload, if it does then I just delete it off my drive or move it to a new folder I've built. Is there a way to increase these limits on the API?

I only have 1 machine that works with dropbox app properly, and it can only work if it has an NVME drive, i7 and 64GB ram. The dropbox APP for me is exceptionally resource-heavy that I cannot use it on my AMD ryzen 3, or anything below i7.

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

For empty files on your local filesystem, I can't provide much help, as that's not related to the Dropbox API. The Dropbox API operates by communicating with the Dropbox servers, not the local filesystem.

If you do want to check the metadata on the Dropbox servers though, e.g., to compare with the local state, you can use ListFolderAsync/ListFolderContinueAsync (in the .NET SDK, which corresponds to /2/files/list_folder[/continue] on the HTTPS API) to list the contents of any folder.

Also, the Dropbox API does have a rate limiting system, but it's not possible to raise the limits. The Performance Guide has some information that may be helpful though.

bramburn
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks mate, that unfortunate. Maybe its not an issue with the API but it is an issue with the dbx app itself leaving those empty files.

I've implemented the majority of these tips, however, I will try to implement a try catch for the retry-after as this could just pause the system to wait until its released.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bramburn Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?