cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media link for streaming, in .net, on api 2?

media link for streaming, in .net, on api 2?

mac m.6
Explorer | Level 4

I'm writing an app to play media file streamed off dropbox. I'm using the official .Net SDK, and API v2. I'm generating my media link using client.Sharing in the SDK, but the file doesn't seem to stream. Looking at my network console in Firefox, I can see the stream seems to be hanging. 

After doing some reading, it seems I'm supposed to be using .Media instead of .Share, but there's no media in the official SDK. Will I have to revert to an API v1 SDK to get this to work? Do I even need media, or is share good enough for streaming? 

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The shared links you can retrieve using the SDK in the Sharing namespace, e.g., CreateSharedLinkWithSettingsAsync, are meant for sharing links to others users. These links don't return the file content directly.

If you just need to stream data to a media player, you should instead use GetTemporaryLinkAsync. That will give you a direct link to the file content you can use to stream the file in your media player.

mac m.6
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Gregory, GetTemporaryLinkAsync was exactly what I needed!

Rodres
New member | Level 2

Hi, I'm not sure if this method is correct because I can't find it, I'm looking for an HTTP Live Streaming link to adaptive media player

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Rodres It looks like you also opened a new thread for this, so I'll follow up there:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/API-support/Video-Streaming/m-p/270868#M16002 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Rodres New member | Level 2
    mac m.6 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?