cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

/metadata/link -> api v2 now forces user authentication?

/metadata/link -> api v2 now forces user authentication?

tim
Explorer | Level 4

In API v1, my app enjoys the ability to call /metadata/link on a shared link to find out information about it, WITHOUT requiring the user to login. This is because the v1 endpoint only requires client auth & secret.

In API v2, the migration guide specifies to use /2/sharing/get_shared_link_metadata, which requires USER authentication. Now i'll have to force my users to authenticate. The problem here is: my users don't necessarily have Dropbox accounts! So this would force them to go through the whole sign-up process. My users are not going to do this.

Is there any way in API v2 to get shared link metadata WITHOUT user authentication, like we already have in v1?

thanks

-tim

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Hi Tim, this API v2 endpoint doesn't currently support app authentication like its API v1 equivalent unfortunately, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request.

tim
Explorer | Level 4
That's a real bummer. I assume this is intentional (no way this would be accidental as it is quite a big change). There are only 2 reasons I can surmise -- 1) to drive sign-ups, and 2) further fraud/spam/leech protection. Neither seem reasonable to me, because the ability to quickly access a shared link's contents WITHOUT having a dropbox account has always been a major reason why I liked dropbox. The fragmentation of our digital identities is to the point now where forcing someone to create yet another account for something is foolish, even if you've been around for many years like Dropbox.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

tim Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?