cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

syncing not working for files uploaded using dropbox api

syncing not working for files uploaded using dropbox api

scribe4you
New member | Level 2

we have created an app using dropbox api which is sending audio files to our dropbox folder. But those files are not appearing on my desktop although I have full sync on. When I am manually putting files in that folder, they are syncing ok. So how do I sync the files which are coming through the dropbox api?

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Files uploaded via the API should automatically sync to connected computers, just like files uploaded from any other source.

First, we should determine where this is isn't working for you:

1) Is the upload API call returning a success response?
If not, the upload failed to begin with. Check the response for information on why it failed.

2) Is the Dropbox web site showing the uploaded file?
First, make sure you're checking the right location. For example, if your app has the "app folder" permission, files will be uploaded into the "app folder" for the app, by default under "/Apps/<app folder name>". This would be the location of the file in the desktop client too.

If the file is showing on the web site, then there may just be a syncing issue with your desktop client, in which case you'll need to contact user support for help with that desktop syncing issue: https://www.dropbox.com/support

If the file is not showing on the web site, please share the response from the upload API call so we can look into it.

scribe4you
New member | Level 2

Thanks for your response. It seems like the app was sending files with : in the filename which dropbox sync doesn't work with.

scribe4you
New member | Level 2

Quick question on syncing. Is there a way to remove/empty the original dropbox folder once sync has downloaded the file onto the PC? 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but you can use the delete endpoint (or corresponding delete method in whatever SDK you're using, if any) to delete any file or folder programmatically. There isn't a way via the API to determine if the sync operation to any particular client has finished though.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    scribe4you New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?