cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

token not renewing in rclone

token not renewing in rclone

ilovethe80s
New member | Level 2

I have never had an issue till just the other day and now my dropbox token expires every few hours and nothing I do seems to change that. Before I dont know that I did anything different. In rclone I just would go to authorize dropbox and it would authorize and I was good. Now every few hours I have to go back in and redo the whole process and create a new token. 
I have tried generating one in the app itself but that token doesn't seem to work even with no expiry, when I paste it in. I still get a SL token and then a few hours later it has expired. 
Now I have seen where others the token just keeps renewing. But either way I am lost Rclone says its a dropbox problem.  I have the same app I have been using but just in case I created a new app and it works no different. 

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Dropbox is switching to issuing short-lived access tokens (and optional refresh tokens) instead of long-lived access tokens. Developers of existing third party apps received advanced noted of this change by email. More information can be found here.

Apps can still get long-term access by requesting "offline" access though, in which case the app receives a "refresh token" that can be used to retrieve new short-lived access tokens as needed, without further manual user intervention. This is something that will need to be implemented in the app itself though, by the developer. You may need to install an updated version of the third party app with that implemented, or contact the developer if they haven't released such an update yet.

ilovethe80s
New member | Level 2

You've had short-lived tokens for a long time however I've never had a problem up until just recently. And when I create a token I don't get a short-lived token but no matter what token I paste into the Application it's still insert give me a different token. And it has never happened until just recently and it Hass to be in dropbox. Something dropbox is not sending the right token it's not doing something. Because it works sometimes but not every time and nothing that I am doing on the server side has changed at all. 

ilovethe80s
New member | Level 2

No one else is experiencing this. We even created a account and a new app and sure enough no. issue

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

To clarify, Dropbox is now migrating to issuing only short-lived access tokens. While we're not invalidating existing long-lived access tokens, we are beginning to phase out the ability to create new ones. While that change began on September 30th, we're releasing it gradually, so you may not have seen all app(s) affected yet. Once it applies to an app, it would apply regardless of the "Access token expiration" setting for your app, and that setting may no longer be available for an app.

By the way, I should note that if you're an end-user of a third party app or plugin that connects to Dropbox, you should not have to manually register and retrieve your own app key, access token, refresh token, etc. The developer should register the app themselves, and build the ability to automatically get the rest of these details for your account into the third party app itself. You may wish to contact the developer to ask them to do so.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    ilovethe80s New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?