cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I deleted Dropbox from my Finder and now all my desktop files are gone

I deleted Dropbox from my Finder and now all my desktop files are gone

AdaChen1
New member | Level 2

Hi, I use a mac, I dragged the dropbox from the sidebar to the bin and all my folders 'Documents', 'Downloads', 'Desktop' have all disappeared. I see the dropbox folder in the bin but I cant restore anything , and when I click into the folder all I see are three files that are useless. I have tried locating the files and it has appeared in the iCloud(Archive) but when I try to open them it says 'The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Desktop” can’t be found.' Is there a way to get everything back to normal?

3 Replies 3

Re: URGENT!! DropBox in bin

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @AdaChen1, thanks for reaching out and happy Friday!

It seems you had enabled computer backup on your Dropbox application, so deleting Dropbox, deleted your desktop files.

Do you see them in your deleted files page in your Dropbox account?

What does your events page show?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AdaChen1
New member | Level 2

Hi, thank you for your reply,

I don't see anything in the 'deleted files' page and 'events' page is also empty. If I turn off the computer backup will the files appear again?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @AdaChen1, if the files weren't synced to the Dropbox site, then it wouldn't be possible to recover them from the site itself.

Since the files aren't opening on the computer, turning off the computer backup feature might not make any difference. 

However, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party app or service to do so.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    AdaChen1 New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?