cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning on dropbox backup but folder name is weird

Turning on dropbox backup but folder name is weird

tjanderson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had tested the Dropbox Backup feature in the past so I know that when turned on my Computers should be added as My Mac (Unique Mac Name). I decided to turn it back on again when setting up two new Macs that I have but the backup now creates the folders as just  MacMac (2), Mac (3)

I've gone through the steps of unlinking Dropbox from each computer. Checking their names in System Preferences and also in the Security tab of my Dropbox account. The computer names are correct in Dropbox but the backup feature is still creating the folders as just Mac

tjanderson_0-1626891060061.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nichole
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

OK, they are finally rolling up a Beta update for Dropbox Backup that will let you rename and I was able to do it! You can do go through Dropbox Backup in the app, disable the backups on all the computers there, and then restart them. Then, re-enable backups and it should move you over to beta so you can now rename things!

View solution in original post

56 Replies 56

marioshadj
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, I am trying this new Dropbox Backup feature, and I'm noticing that a directory was created with a name I didn't choose, namely:

My Mac (123.dhcp.myisp.com).

I would like this to be something like My Mac (laptop), instead of the default name.

I noticed that my Desktop folder was moved in there and the actual Desktop folder is now a symlink pointing to Desktop in My Mac (123.dhcp.mysip.com), and while I could rename it and fix the symlink, it seems like this may cause issues with Dropbox looking at the wrong places in the future, e.g. when adding/removing backup folders at the very least.

Is there a way to rename this without causing issues?

Thanks.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @marioshadj, let's see what we can do on this. 

Since the computer backup feature creates a folder named after your device's name, you can try the following steps to see if they do the trick:

• Turn off the computer backup feature. 
  • Unlink the device from your Security tab
  • Rename your computer to what you want it to be called. 
  • Sign in again with your account. 
  • Make sure that the computer backup feature is enabled. 

Let me know how it goes, thanks!

PS. If you're on a Basic (free) account, note that there's a three device limit and you'll have to make sure that you've got less than three devices connected to proceed.

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

marioshadj
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Lusil,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I had renamed my computer and restarted dropbox initially to try it out but that did not work, and it looks like it only looks at the name of the computer when I linked dropbox.

I assumed that what you suggested could work, though that would mean I have to set-up all the specific folders I want to sync on my laptop all over again, which is a bit of an overkill for such a simple rename 😞

I understand that this is a "beta" feature, would it make sense to have an option to rename a device in the preferences?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sure thing, @marioshadj! You can post this here, where other like-minded users can comment and upvote it. 

In the meantime, if you have any other thoughts or questions for us, just give us another nudge. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Chris lutje Spelberg
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, I have the same problem.

I backed up many gigabytes already. So for me to apply the suggested solution it means re-downloading and uploading at least 60Gb of data. 

So please provide a way to rename the folder. It looks so unprofessional.

For your information: it has the domain name of the modem of my previous internet provider. Completely useless naming..

nimbleg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why is this going unaddressed? This is an issue on business accounts and its confusing my users.

eperadam
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a few question about Dropbox. 

First, how can I rename "My Mac (xy)" featured Folders, because I had two Mac folders, a MacBook Pro, and an Air, so I want to change it to: My Mac ( Pro) and My Mac ( Air). (because its looks like cool)

Képernyőfotó 2021-01-17 - 14.16.46.png

Képernyőfotó 2021-01-17 - 14.18.02.png

Thanks for help!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for posting @eperadam!

I've just moved your post here since you have a similar question.

When you have the time, please check out the info here, and let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

eperadam
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you, but I didnt understand...

What will happen. If i Unlink my Mac from Dropbox, and It will stop sync feature? Files that have been synced to dropbox in the past will be deleted after unlink defice or not? Because it synced over 500 GB, which I don’t want to delete.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    tks32 New member | Level 2
    jlniagara New member | Level 2
    developedsoftwa Helpful | Level 5
    nichole Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?