Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are updating your Dropbox icon in your system tray

Bourdij New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This has been 3 days now that I have this message "We are updating your Dropbox icon in your system tray". The notification says "up to date" but it is clearely not, I have to download manually the files I work on at work to my laptop.

I have turned off and turned on my laptop, I exit dropbox and started it again... nothing.

When I go to recent files, it shows a file I modified 4 days ago as "added 7 minutes ago"

6 Replies 6

Re: We are updating your Dropbox icon in your system tray

Super User II
Super User II
Which version of Dropbox are you running?

Have you tried downloading and updating to the newest version from https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-37-4-29/m-p/247747#M4370 ? I'd suggest using the offline installer for best results.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

New member | Level 2

Thank you; I have had Dropbox for 8 years now, and this is the first time I am stuck like this.

The updates are usually automatic. I have still plenty of room in my dropbox.

But I am also using Windows 10 2017 which is super annoying and generates many problems with my diverses apps.

Have a great Sunday, I will follow the link.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

On Windows, Dropbox has changed the system tray icon for when everything is fully synced. Instead of showing the green check-mark that all is synced, they now show no overlay icon. This is very confusing because before, this visual 'state' was used to show Dropbox was offline, but since the last update this means 'all is okay'. So maybe your Dropbox is up-to-date, but it just shows no green checkmark anymore? 

If this info was helpful to your issue, then you probably also think this is a very stupid update that Dropbox did. If you want your green check-mark  back , you can go here and upvote this post . Maybe with enough votes/comments, they will bring it back. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Thank you so much for your answer,

actually, my problem was that I could not find my files, that is why I went to the system tray (I usually never go there).

Well I uninstalled Dropbox and reinstalled it and now it works.

I am not sure what was going on.

It has happened in the past that Dropbox would stall me for several hours but never like this...

hopefully it will not happened again.

PS indeed, the ico changed... WT???

dragonfire67
Explorer | Level 4

Upvoted! Thanks wowtah!

Super User II
Super User II

This topic has been answered and is now closed for further replies.

If you wish to request that the old icons return, you can do so in the Share an idea forum. There's already an active request for the same issue. Feel free to reply there (link below).

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?