cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you remove the space in the dropbox folder name ("Dropbox (Company-Name)")?

Can you remove the space in the dropbox folder name ("Dropbox (Company-Name)")?

Vincent M.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm using my companies business dropbox account. And it created a folder called "Dropbox (my companies name here)".

Is there a way to remove the space between "Dropbox" and "("? I don't want to have a space in the path. So the folder name will become "Dropbox-Company" or "Dropbox_Company" or something, but not space.

It seems impossible.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all, 

Unfortunately, it's not possible to change the name of Dropbox folder, as many of you have discovered. 

If you are using it for scripts then the best thing would firstly to parse the info.json and grab the path from there. The JSON is located:

Mac/Linux: 

~/.dropbox/info.json

Windows will be one of these two paths:

%APPDATA%\Dropbox\info.json
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Dropbox\info.json

I say this as if you were to move your Dropbox folder at anytime then this would, of course, break any paths that explicitly referenced an exact folder path.

On a side note, spaces within file paths shouldn't cause issues within scripts, it's fairly normal to have some spaces in there, just ensure your path string is correctly formatted and your script should be fine.

View solution in original post

138 Replies 138

Mariedb
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there! 

There is currently no way of doing this as it would change the path of your Dropbox account. 

However, I will make sure to pass your feedback along to our engineering team so that they can take your comments into account in the future development of the app. 

Many thanks again for using Dropbox 🙂 

Joaquim j.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi!

any advances on this?

Its really important to remove that space.

best,

Donald W.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

Naming a customised dropbox folder is one of features we are crying for when starting Dropbox for Business.

Cheers

Bob C.37
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue with the space character!  Additionally, I'm incorporating some Linux (bash) scripts that are unhappy with the parenthesis around the company-name.  Can this be addressed at the same time - perhaps a Dropbox-company format?

Christian H.32
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's a really daring choice to put a space in a foldername - Sure, for most programs it works. But not all scripts can handle this.

I just spend an entire evening debugging webpack to figure out why hot-deploy didn't work. Answer = Dropbox put a space in my path !"#€&€%#

Problem seen on OSX 

Simon W.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same problem.  Need to eliminate the space!

Donald W.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I suggest Dropbox using hyphen instead of brackets to naming the Dropbox folder.

Here we will have

Dropbox-CompanyName

If we then name our company name without space, we will have a folder name without space.

Jason B.16
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Upvoted. This issue has bitten me many times. There is no need to have a space and many reasons to not have it.

Mica E.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I cannot believe that Dropbox would put a mandatory space in a directory name. This is very unprofessional.

Temporary fix: symbolic link. But who knows what unintended side-effects this will have someday when we forget this horrific catastrophe?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

shinbeth Experienced | Level 13
    chrisleathers Helpful | Level 5
    cjrhoads Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?