cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Community ideas that are now a reality

Community ideas that are now a reality

Amy
Community Manager
Nothing makes us happier than saying ‘Your idea has become a reality’ and today, we get to say it a few times, with Dropbox Family, Vaults and Backup. We love to read your ideas, and to see what gets Community users excited too! Feel free to keep adding ideas for Dropbox to the mix here

Dropbox Family

Hi Dropbox,
I currently have a Dropbox Pro account that we share with the family of 4. I would like to have a separate account per family member, but I am not willing to pay for four Dropbox Pro accounts. I think there is a market for a Dropbox Family plan. My thinking is that the total space for the family is 1 TB, the size of a Pro account. You could charge a reasonable amount per additional family member. I envision that you limit the number of family members such that this will not compete with your Dropbox Business offering.
Kind Regards.

You asked for it, Jean-Marc, and the people supported it! Dropbox Family is Dropbox Plus, but for your whole family. There are some differences to the plan, with some extra new features and 2TB of shared storage for your family. When you share with members on your plan, it only counts towards your plan storage once, not for each time a document is shared. Now you can create a shared family space to share those important family docs with peace of mind. Your plan can include up to 6 members, whether they are in your household or living elsewhere, like college students or grandparents.  
We're currently beta testing the Dropbox Family product with select Dropbox users and plan to roll it out more broadly throughout the year, so keep your eyes peeled

Dropbox FamilyDropbox Family

Dropbox Vault

It would be nice if Dropbox has a pin protected Vault. 

We agree, lepensuer, you put it simply and we have made it simple. Vault is perfect for storing your passport, insurance details, or even legal documents, so you can find them when you need them, with a PIN for secure access. Enjoy peace of mind knowing that you can designate trusted friends or family members who can access your files in an emergency. It’s like a virtual safe deposit box, just in case! 

This will be released generally soon, but for now it’s in Beta with select Dropbox users.

Dropbox VaultDropbox Vault

Computer backup

We have seen a number of ideas around backing up your computer automatically, and we are delighted to say that this has been introduced as part of the updates in Dropbox Plus. Once you turn on the computer backup feature, you can automatically back up folders on your PC or Mac, including your Desktop, Downloads, and Documents, directly into your Dropbox folder. Files and folders are continuously synced between the cloud and your hard drive and accessible from anywhere. Computer backup is now available in beta on Dropbox Basic, Plus, and Professional plans.

Computer BackupComputer Backup

Feeling inspired? Share your ideas now! slightly smiling face 

5 Replies 5

Jean-Marc K.
Helpful | Level 6

@Amy and rest of Dropbox. Thank you so much for listening. I will be adding my family members as soon as I see the option in my Personal Account settings! I won't be looking for alternatives anymore. The Vault is also a great addition.

Amy
Community Manager

Great to hear @Jean-Marc K.! We’re delighted you’re happy with the coming updates, and of course, we’d love to hear any feedback or new ideas you have!

Jean-Marc K.
Helpful | Level 6

@Amy It has been some time since your very positive message about providing the family plan based on my idea (and probably others too). I am now in chat with support, as the family plan is not available to me yet. I currently have Professional. It appears that the family plan is not available for Professional at all. One can only switch plans at renewal time. But support tells me that even by the end of December (my next renewal), they cannot guarantee I would be able to get the family plan with the Plus plan. Can you share the plans such that I have an outlook for when this option becomes available?

Amy
Community Manager

Hi @Jean-Marc K., do you mind if I reach out to you on the email connected with your Community account, so we can get some details?

Jean-Marc K.
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Amy Thank you for your response. Please do reach out to me on the e-mail address in my Community account.

Need more support?