cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Content Organization on Dropbox Business

Content Organization on Dropbox Business

YoucefDropbox
Dropbox Staff

Hi everyone,

My name is Youcef, and I'm a Product Manager at Dropbox working on Dropbox Business.

My team is currently looking into features to help teams organize better their content on Dropbox Business.

I would love to hear your current pain-points with content organization on Dropbox Business, if at all, and any ideas you might have that could make that better for you and for your teams.

Thank you so much.
Youcef

15 Replies 15

JeaniqueC
New member | Level 2

Hi there, 

An issue or limitation that I am running into with Dropbox Business within my organization is the inability to have the same folder in multiple folders within the organization. I work in an organization that has multiple departments that share the same files, however not everyone is in the same groups to access that folder. 

For example: We own a Fabrication business and Festival Production business. 

We'd like to have two seperate heiarchys: Festival Prod/Ops AND Fabrication 

But we'd like to have the same/live folder in boths structures. Those who have access to the parent folder that the duplicated folder lives in, automatically now are included in the group for THAT duplicated folder so there's no access issues. (This is where I think it could get messy).

We'd love to be able to be able to MULTI HOME/ DUPLICATE the folder into both structures. (We do this seemlessly in our project management software, Asana and it's an amazing feature)
When someone adds data to the folder, it updates under both structures. This is optimal for organizations to share info across departments, branches, etc in the intersection of their projects. 

Happy to discuss this further or a way to get this same outcome using other features. 

Thanks!

ShiraW97
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for posting this idea - I was in search of something very similar.  Is there a way to link a folder or document to multiple different places.  For example - someone on the team who works with grants may need to see the same contract as someone who works in research.  We want to avoid duplicating folders because then you have to make updates every where.  Is there a way to link them together so when you update in one place it automatically updates to all places the document lives?

Lauren Zuniga
Helpful | Level 5

We struggle with the lack of integration between Dropbox Paper and Dropbox folders. We are a digital marketing/creative/PR agency and when transitioning to remote, we started using Paper to prototype content while keeping the finished files in folders to share with clients (usually in Word doc or PDf form). We love how much faster it is for collaboration and how you can see everything in the folder on the left side (I especially love that you can put emojis in the title and it becomes the icon in the side folder menu. The additional visualization elements help us live into design thinking principles.) In fact, we created a whole new system for client projects entirely housed in Paper called Workspaces where each client has a Paper "Workspace" where we can move through Discovery to testing with everything in one place instead of opening a ton of applications. We also use it for internal approvals and used to use Showcase in a similar manner for client approvals and we were sad that you discontinued that. But why can't we store Paper docs in Dropbox folders?? Why can't the emojis show up as cute icons in Dropbox Folder? I like that we can drop DB links in the Paper Space but I don't like that there is no way to keep them all together. I just think it's weird how well Dropbox integrates with other applications but doesn't integrate with its own products very well. 

YoucefDropbox
Dropbox Staff

Hi Shira & Jeanique,

Thanks for your answers and for taking the time.

I think Shortcuts can probably help here where you can link to a folder/file from multiple locations. See this help center article that can help: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/shortcuts

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Thank you 🙂

YoucefDropbox
Dropbox Staff

Hi Lauren,

Indeed, I can relate to the pain Dropbox x Paper that you're describing, given that we are heavy Paper users at Dropbox.

The good news is this is something that our team is working on at the moment. We have released it already to a small fraction of users. Be on the lookout for an email soon from us to enable you to store Paper documents inside Dropbox.

Thank you.

ShiraW97
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for the link Youcef,

I like the idea of the shortcut but we don't want to store URLs.  We're looking for a way to have a shortcut to a document or folder stored elsewhere in Dropbox.  Somewhat the way that Gmail will allow you to label an email thread with multiple labels so that you can see it regardless of which label you look for it.  Is there a way to put a shortcut to a folder in another folder?  For example, I have a file for a company that we have contracts with.  I would like to have the folder stored with the rest of our contracts but also a shortcut to that folder with our grant work since some of the contracts tie to our grant work.  That way when I add a new contract my grants team would be able to see the update through the shortcut instead of having to add it multiple places and worry that we had missed updating all the folders.

Please let me know if that's possible and thank you for taking the time to reply,

Shira

mlippmann
Explorer | Level 4

Regarding Paper, I'd like to be able to have a tree structure for them and be able to store folders and others papers inside them.

tantanA
Explorer | Level 4

I Think one of our biggest issues are duplication and conflicts.

We're a big team of around 120 designers with mixed specialities (Motion, VFX, Product design...)

it happens quite often that conflicts happen when syncing or when 2 people work on the same file - this usually creates a strange new folders.

If the original is "xxxx" -- > it would rename to "xxxx (1)" for some people - which brakes linkage of files in Adobe, Resolve and other programs - drives us nuts!

Another cool thing would be a Digital asset management solution - a way to attach some tags to media files.

nicoleeellan
New member | Level 2

Agreed! A solution to see if there are duplicate files, the location, and the ability to pick and choose which ones to keep would be great. I also run into issues with merging folders together and frequently run into syncing conflicts specifically with Adobe and photo sets where the image files get split into a bunch of different folders. 

Need more support?