cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading a ZIP file with Dropbox

Downloading a ZIP file with Dropbox

Amy
Community Manager
Space is important - on your computer, on your phone and in your workspace. That’s why ZIP files are so helpful for saving disk space and sending large files and folders to other computers. 

What is a ZIP file?

A ZIP is a file archive format.  ZIP files can be extremely useful if you’ve got a large group of files or even just one massive file that you need to share with your team. When a file or folder is zipped, its contents are made smaller, with redundant data removed, so they use and require a lot less data to store and share. The process is called “lossless data compression,” with lossless meaning that while the file size will be greatly reduced, the file itself won’t be affected. 

How do I ZIP a file?

That depends on your operating system. On Mac, you can then simply right-click or Ctrl-click that folder and select “Compress Items.” The .zip file will be saved in the same location that the original folder is saved. For Microsoft users, just make sure all the files you’re compressing are in one folder, right-click that folder, and then find the “Send To” option. In the "Send To” menu, you should see the “Compressed Folder” option. Click that, and your compressed file will be saved to 

Do I need to ZIP my files?

It’s simple to share or email large files with Dropbox so there is no need to compress all of your files. Upload the file to Dropbox, create a shared link, and send that link via chat, email, or text to whomever you want. Anyone with the link can view or download the file you’ve shared, even if they don’t have a Dropbox account.

Sharing a linkSharing a link

Can I upload ZIP files to Dropbox?

Yes, you can upload ZIP files to Dropbox. You can do this by either dragging and dropping the compressed file to Dropbox, uploading the file like you would any other, and even by moving or copying the file to the Dropbox desktop app. 

How do I unzip files or open RAR files stored in my Dropbox account?

To unzip files in with Dropbox, download them from your Dropbox account to your desktop computer. Mac and Windows devices both have built-in file compression features, so when you open a ZIP file for the first time it will automatically uncompress—or unzip—your file.

0 Replies 0
Need more support?