cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer save outlook emails to Dropbox

Can no longer save outlook emails to Dropbox

Cbray
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

In the past I've copied over certain emails from my Outlook inbox into Dropbox just by using copy/paste function.  These would bring attachments along with the original message text and are a backup record for my business.  I can't seem to do this anymore but can open the email message attachments one at a time and copy them over to Dropbox.  This takes too long, breaks up the information and I lose the original message text.  Does anyone know if this fuction can still be done and how with the new changes to Dropbox.

16 Replies 16

Cbray
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It's not how I feel.  You've removed a basic back up functionality that is critical to my business records.  All you have to do is look in my folder called "Confirmed Bookings" to see the 7 years worth of email storage.  Dropbox needs to stay close to it's roots as a safe back up storage for information as well as multi device access.  Too many bells and whistles at the expense of your basic offering will undermine your success.  I'm testing this functionality with other cloud providers to see what options there are.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I wish I had steps on our end to have your Outlook emails saved. Syncing Outlook emails was never a Dropbox feature. Maybe you had the folder symlinked and symlinks now don't work with Dropbox (read about this here). I am sure there are third party apps that can save your emails in Dropbox. 

Alternatively, you can export your emails as files and upload them manually to Dropbox. Hope this Office support article can help: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/back-up-your-email-e5845b0b-1aeb-424f-924c-aa1c33b18833

I am personally using Slack to have my conversations directly in Dropbox but I understand (from the name of the directory) that you might not be able to have your bookings system set up with Slack. I just wanted to add out alternative. 

I hope other Community users can suggest a third party solution. 

Thank you for your feedback. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Cbray
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for this.  This one link shows at the bottom how to move the "Documents" folder to dropbox which moves the Outlook data and creates an auto sync.  Not what I was doing as I was only backing up selective emails but it might work. 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Can-you-help-me-backup-my-emails/td-p/282911

What is interesting is that while playing with this I found that if I copy and past an outlook email with attachments from my Outlook inbox into the Documents folder in Windows first, I can then copy and past it into Dropbox the way I used to with no third party app.

So this is an extra step and something Dropbox has done created this inability to do the same thing directly from my email inbox.  No idea why or what the fix might be but it does work now if I take this extra step.  I tested it and I can open that same email from dropbox with a double click and it opens automatically with Outlook so the process break is only one way on the save side.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to see updates on the matter. :relieved: Your feedback and participation in Community is important to us. This solution can help so many other users. 

Truly pleasant to know you found a way for this to work for you. Seems like the Windows Document folder was the key for your Outlook emails.

I will try it myself! 

Thank you @Cbray!

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

kulbardi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I’m having the same issue with the latest update. It lets me choose the folder but then the “post” button is greyed out.

Update: after many frustrating attempts and the options changing each time I found I could copy to Dropbox. Why has this simple process become so complicated?

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear that @kulbardi

As explained in this discussion, saving emails from Outlook is not something Dropbox can do for you without third party app steps. 

I understand you are doing something different, because you mentioned the "post" button. May I have a screenshot of the grayed out button to make sure I understand what is not working of you? 

Thank you!

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

kulbardi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I worked out how to do it but it wasn’t as straightforward as before, and different options appeared each time so quite unpredictable. A ”copy to Droppbox” option came up after a few more attempts and this worked.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kulbardi New member | Level 2
    Fiona Dropbox Staff
    Cbray Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?