cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox size on Desktop is smaller than Dropbox size online

Dropbox size on Desktop is smaller than Dropbox size online

NAK
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

With Dropbox Basic, I recieved an alert saying my dropbox is full -all 8.25 GB are used.

But when I check my Dropbox file on my desktop it's size is 1.89 GB.
All folders are marked to sync so I can't find a logical explenation for this & my Dropbox won't sync because it claims to be full...

Thanks for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
There is no way of looking at folder size online. Hence me saying before why not look at www.dropbox.com/events to see whats been added.

What about www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check or the use of symlinks/junctions

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Member of any shared folders?

As soon as you go over quota syncing stops - so the larger new files wont have sync'd to your machine hence the discrepancy

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

NAK
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thanks for your reply.
what you described could make sense. though in my situation, it is not the case. all folders & files are synced. it just wont continue syncing from now on. and the difference in size wouldn't accommodate a single file... at least not the files I have on Dropbox..

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
What does Dropbox say if you mouse over its icon on the status bar?
If it says over quota SOMETHING has happened on one device or another to stop it from downloading those updates to the machine you are on now.

www.dropbox.com/events may show whats been added
www.dropbox.com/share is still where I suspect the issue is.

NAK
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
My problem is that while Dropbox claims to be full, I don't see any reason for it to be full.
The total size of my files on Dropbox is more than 6GB under my full capacity.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It isnt though - the website is correct. As I said, as soon as you go over your quota it will NOT sync those changes to your computer. So, your computer Dropbox is out of data - that one is wrong.

Something has been added to your Dropbox via a device/shared folder which has put you over your limit. This this stops the syncing.

You need to delete whatever it is thats been added to bring you back under quota.

NAK
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
How can I find out what my file sizes are if I can't see the folder sizes online & it wont sync so i cant see the 'full picture'

NAK
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I just removed a 90MB folder. just so Dropbox can fully sync.
now that is is fully synced and not full over the top there is still a large discrepancy between the Dropbox online & desktop - 8.2GB Vs 1.8GB
All folders online are synced to desktop...

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
There is no way of looking at folder size online. Hence me saying before why not look at www.dropbox.com/events to see whats been added.

What about www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check or the use of symlinks/junctions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey NAK

Apologies for getting back to you in delay. Are you still having this issue? 

Can you please make sure that you are running the latest stable version of the application to exclude a syncing issue and let me know if this persists in your reply? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    NAK Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?