cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I select specific folders for automatic backup?

How do I select specific folders for automatic backup?

EdMorton
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This sounds like such a simple thing but I cannot figure out how to choose specific folders to automatically backup. When I get to the backup folder selection menu in the dropbox app I have half a dozen high level choices like "Desktop", "Downloads", and "Videos" to choose from but I don't want to automatically backup any of those, I want to backup specific folders like "C:\cygwin64\home\foo\bar" - how do I tell the app to do that? I'm on a Windows 11 PC.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@EdMorton wrote:

I want to backup specific folders like "C:\cygwin64\home\foo\bar" - how do I tell the app to do that?

You can't. The Backup feature only backs up the key folders of your operating system; Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc, along with external drives. You can't specify other folders to be backed up. Also keep in mind that Dropbox can only sync files that are located in your Dropbox folder. The backup feature works by MOVING the key folders into your Dropbox folder so they can sync. It doesn't back them up in place.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@EdMorton wrote:

I want to backup specific folders like "C:\cygwin64\home\foo\bar" - how do I tell the app to do that?

You can't. The Backup feature only backs up the key folders of your operating system; Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc, along with external drives. You can't specify other folders to be backed up. Also keep in mind that Dropbox can only sync files that are located in your Dropbox folder. The backup feature works by MOVING the key folders into your Dropbox folder so they can sync. It doesn't back them up in place.

EdMorton
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

OK, I guess Dropbox isn't for me then. Thanks for the quick response!

Cyberchicken76
Helpful | Level 5

When do you plan to implement that?

Cyberchicken76
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

>> the key folders of your operating system; Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc, along with
external drives.
Whoever thought those are the "key folders of my operating system" made a very funny, naive and arrogant assumption.
When are you going to answer our questions?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Cyberchicken76 Helpful | Level 5
    EdMorton Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?