cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Download All Files to Close Out Dropbox Account

Download All Files to Close Out Dropbox Account

ccramer
New member | Level 2

I'm trying to download every file on my dropbox to an external hard drive so that I can access the files after I delete my dropbox account, but there is nowhere online that explains how to do this. I can't even download a single folder because they're too large. 

HELP

7 Replies 7

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ccramer, I hope you're well today!

If you have a lot of data that's too large to download via the website, then I'd suggest using the desktop app to sync your files locally to your computer.

Since you need to move the files to an external drive, you can choose to sync your files directly there when initially setting up the app.

Can you let me know if you currently have the app installed, or have used it before?

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Server_Align
Collaborator | Level 10

@Daphne wrote:

Hey @ccramer, I hope you're well today!

If you have a lot of data that's too large to download via the website, then I'd suggest using the desktop app to sync your files locally to your computer.

Since you need to move the files to an external drive, you can choose to sync your files directly there when initially setting up the app.

Can you let me know if you currently have the app installed, or have used it before?

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Does the app let you select an external hdd now?

ccramer
New member | Level 2

@daphne

Thank you for getting back to me! Yes, i've started the process through the app, but according to the article below it's warning against using an external drive, which is my only option since my company is closing and all filves need to be consolidated to a drive.

The app is saying it will take 2+ days to transfer and I'm sure something will interupt this in that long of a time period. Is this the only way? 

It also looks as though the folder in the drive will still be linked to dropbox, and I can't have that since I have to delete my dropbox account at the end of this

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder

Server_Align
Collaborator | Level 10

if it lets you selct the external drive as a move to location just do it, and make sure no one pulls the cable out.

if your windows and it doesnt, you can mount the external as a subfolder of C: using "Computer management" and Disk management in it.

Or from a administrator level dos shell use a the dos command MKLINK /D C:\NOT_ON_C G:\

assuming the external is on G:  

Then move the folder to C:\NOT_ON_C which then conencts to the G:\ and you end up with G:\Dropbox

Once its synced just unlink the account in the app and your done.

-----------

if thats not working or to hard to follow, then leave the dropbox folder on C:\ where ever it is, and every 8 hours, cut and paste all the files to a external drive, repeat as more come in.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the update @ccramer!

The warning is due to external drives not being an officially supported location for the desktop app installation. You just need to ensure the drive stays connected during sync.

I'd suggest checking that your bandwidth settings aren't limited to speed up the process as much as possible.

There are others around the Community that have mentioned their app showing 2+ days for syncing which isn't an accurate reflection.

Fixing permissions should resolve the issue if you'd like to try that, but if you see the number of files progressing in the sync status then you can just leave the app to sync and check the number of files left.

Once the app is "up to date", please check everything is synced locally :white_check_mark: before unlinking your account from the desktop app.

If you have any other questions, just give us a shout here!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

godbox
New member | Level 2

Hello there! Thanks for the help in this topic.

I too want to download all files. The problem is the way dropbox seems to be set up is that even though I have all the files on my desktop it is compressed versions of the files and it never actually backs up. I need instructions on how to have a complete copy because I also have backup drive that is supposed to sync all files up to 2tb and they are also not syncing except for zero k shortcuts. This is very frustrating.

I just want all my files to be synced and dropbox compressing these files though I pay to have them all available to me is aggravating it makes me want to quit the service.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @godbox, do you have the Dropbox desktop application currently installed on your machine? Are you referring to files in the Dropbox folder that are compressed?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?