cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly uploaded files not sorted correctly

Newly uploaded files not sorted correctly

Ilkuul
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have just uploaded 11 new files to a Dropbox folder, and they seem to be stuck at the top of the list: they are not sorting alphabetically with the rest of the files.

I have tried changing the sort order (the arrow beside the "Name" heading), and that makes no difference. I've refreshed the page, closed and reopened it, closed and reopened the browser—no difference. I tried a different browser: same error. Thinking it might be a something to do with the operating system (I use a Mac), I opened the same Dropbox page in Windows. Same error—shown in the attached screenshot.

Can anyone help?

Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 15.49.44.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Ilkuul wrote:

I have just uploaded 11 new files to a Dropbox folder, and they seem to be stuck at the top of the list: they are not sorting alphabetically with the rest of the files.

Best guess, the files have a whitespace character at the beginning of each filename. In the screenshot below, the Test.txt file has a non-breaking space at the beginning of the name, so it sorts to the top of the list.

008ada75bbc7966a5bb22f5abf712eb5.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Ilkuul wrote:

Best guess, the files have a whitespace character at the beginning of each filename. In the screenshot below, the Test.txt file has a non-breaking space at the beginning of the name, so it sorts to the top of the list.

008ada75bbc7966a5bb22f5abf712eb5.png

Ilkuul
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

That was it! The last thing I would have guessed, but you spotted it. I used a bulk renamer to strip prefixes off those filenames, and it left the following space behind. Many thanks!

TheKeel
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So how do you get rid of it?

TheKeel
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Not having that exact issue but have been having other issues with Dropbox sorting. Files no longer sort alphabetically, either ascending or descending. They appear somewhat alphabetical with random non-alphabetical files interspersed in the list. Some problem with sorting by date. Makes it very difficult to find specific files and dedicated groups of files. This has been reported by dozens of users in the community and no one has addressed it. I believe the issue began within the past year. A big problem making Dropbox very annoying to use.

[Merged into this thread by Moderator]

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@TheKeel wrote:

So how do you get rid of it?

Rename the file and if the first character is a space, delete it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    TheKeel Helpful | Level 6
    Ilkuul Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?