cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing is stuck on my Linux devices, what can I do?

Syncing is stuck on my Linux devices, what can I do?

holf
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It seems I have the same problem as mentioned in above posts. I am running Dropbox on a pc and laptop, both having Linux-Lubuntu as the os. After a "one time update" on both systems, Dropbox is stuck indexing/uploading/downloading a small number of files. In addition, I noticed that when I rename a file on my hard disk, the name of that file is not always changed in the cloud. I tried the two fix options and did a complete reinstall of the dropbox client, but no success. I would appreciate any help.

53 Replies 53

silvacarl
Explorer | Level 4

So it turns out there was some stuck file someplace.  so i had to create a new dropbox account and need to slowly migrate everything over to it.

i find it bizarre that after thhis many years, there is no method or tool by which to identify these problems and do somethihng about it.

it makes zero sense.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@silvacarl, If the only thing that you're looking for is isolation of all files which status is not up to date, then following command can do this:

find ~/Dropbox -type d,f,l -exec dropbox filestatus '{}' ';' | grep -iv "up to date"

Of course, if your Dropbox' folder position is different, adapt the path. Not necessary something different than "up to date" be troublesome mandatory (some files normal are not in sync), but you will have a relatively short list (let's hope) to look in and find actual troublesome files. For huge number of files this check will take some time, so be patient. You shouldn't expect this to solve something - it just shows status. Dropbox application should work during this command execution.

silvacarl
Explorer | Level 4

well, without a doubt something weird/corrupted was in my dropbox.  there are no tools to find something like this.

in order to fix the problem, i created a new dropbox account and gave it some test files.

it was insanely fast and now works perfectly.

so i am in the process of moving files over.

if you know of a simple/easy way to move entire directories from one dropbox account to anotehr let me know.

once i have moved everything over that i want, i will kill/deactivate my old account which i have had for years !!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. threre is/was no other way to fix this problem.  which is really odd, given the fact dropbox has been around for ages.   makes zero sense to me at all.

also, this method is much better/more reliable to install on ubuntu 20.04:

# use URL to drowndload latest install kit
https://linux.dropboxstatic.com/packages/ubuntu/
https://linux.dropbox.com/packages/ubuntu/dropbox_2020.03.04_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i dropbox_2020.03.04_amd64.deb
dropbox start -i

than this one:

cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf -
~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@silvacarl wrote:

if you know of a simple/easy way to move entire directories from one dropbox account to anotehr let me know.

The simplest (and fast) way to move folders between account is to share them, either as share folder and follow up transfer ownership or using shared links to every one folder and follow up adding them to the new account.

It's good idea to do it step by step (folder by folder) and wait until every ongoing folder get in sync before continue to the next. In such a way if there is something wrong in some folder, you will be aware where the issue is (least the folder).

Good luck.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    silvacarl Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?