cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Team Can't Edit files in shared folder

Team Can't Edit files in shared folder

annemaney
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm an employee and not the main owner of dropbox (my boss is). I created a folder and an excel spreadsheet for us all to use and submit our goal numbers for the week. I shared it with all of them and made sure they had the EDIT capabilities when sharing both the folder and the excel spreadsheet inside. Now, this is where it get's weird. I can't edit it myself (even though I'm the owner) within dropbox (have to download and re-upload-which defeats the entire purpose) and my coworkers can't edit it themselves, unless my boss have the excel spreadsheet open on her computer. Which ofcourse when we save and then she closes and saved, creates a conflicted copy. She chatted with Dropbox and they told her no one should be able to edit it when she has it open, and asked that since I'm techincally the owner, to chat with them, but when I did, I was only allowed to chat with a robot. So here I am, fustrated and trying my hardest to figure out the glitch or what I did wrong, and how to fix.

The goal here is to be able for everyone to open this excel spreadsheet on their computers, not download it, be able to edit WITHIN dropbox, and save, and exit out so that the information added is there whenever the next person opens up the spreadsheet to put in their numbers and so on, and then at the end of the week, the excel spreadsheet adds up all our numbers for us, because we are editing it WITHIN dropbox. 

Can someone please help me figure out how to fix this? Again, everyone does have editing mode within the folder and excel itself, but no one can actually edit it, unless the boss (who isn't the original owner) has it open on their computer.

Please help!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Professional plan is an individual one @annemaney, perhaps you'd be better off with a Dropbox for Business teams account?

Otherwise, all the members of the shared folders will need to have a Dropbox account and enough quota to be able to edit the content of the share folders.

PS: You can have a look at our plans and the features they offer at  this time on this page

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @annemaney, sorry to hear you're having issues with this. 

Could you please clarify what plan are you on and if you and the other members have enough quota to accommodate the shared folder in your accounts?

You can see this information in your account's plan tab

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

annemaney
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Walter,

Thank you so much for replying. I currently have the Dropbox Basic, and my boss has Dropbox Professional Trial. I was wondering if maybe that was the issue, being that we all aren't under her Dropbox Professional Trail? Do we need to have our own logins branched off of her main dropbox, in order to share and editing documents within dropbox? At this office, we currently have our boss, and then 3 employees, and want to be able to share documents in dropbox and edit stuff within the dropbox itself. If you could please let me know the best way to accomplish that goal, we would greatly appreciate it! 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Professional plan is an individual one @annemaney, perhaps you'd be better off with a Dropbox for Business teams account?

Otherwise, all the members of the shared folders will need to have a Dropbox account and enough quota to be able to edit the content of the share folders.

PS: You can have a look at our plans and the features they offer at  this time on this page

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    annemaney Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?