cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Photos page is changing...

The Photos page is changing...

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I've just seen the banner that says "The Photos page is changing on 30 June 2017 but your pictures will stay safe in your Dropbox account. Learn more". The gist is that they are removing the final remants of the Carousel functionality - which makes me wonder what the point was in purchasing it in the first place:

"After that date, you’ll no longer be able to create or share albums on the web, or browse photos in the current timeline view. However, all your photos will remain safe in your Dropbox account."

Even funnier, it says:

"Creating a better photos experience

We’re continuing to work on new photos and file experiences on dropbox.com. As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the experience."

With these changes there will be no photos experience that is any different to normal files. If they remove camera uploads, that would be the last straw for me and I'll be moving to a different service.

302 Replies 302

JedDinger
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is a HUGE mistake for Dropbox.

The verbiage in the release is deceptively written double-speak, but the gist is "NO ALBUMS" and "NO AUTOMATED ALBUM CONVERSION TO FOLDERS".  Why not just say "GET LOST LOSERS?". 

WHY WHY WHY?

@Darren S.1 wrote:

I've just seen the banner that says "The Photos page is changing on 30 June 2017 but your pictures will stay safe in your Dropbox account. Learn more". The gist is that they are removing the final remants of the Carousel functionality - which makes me wonder what the point was in purchasing it in the first place:

"After that date, you’ll no longer be able to create or share albums on the web, or browse photos in the current timeline view. However, all your photos will remain safe in your Dropbox account."

Even funnier, it says:

"Creating a better photos experience

We’re continuing to work on new photos and file experiences on dropbox.com. As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the experience."

With these changes there will be no photos experience that is any different to normal files. If they remove camera uploads, that would be the last straw for me and I'll be moving to a different service.

johnPearce
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So why are DropBox removing this functionality?  I've got 5 years photos in what I thought were files, but now I worry they may be albums. I have no idea how to tell. There is no way I can move them one by one by 30 June. PLease can someone responsible in DropBox explain WHY this change is so essential. It seems like worse for users to me.

Sarah N.6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am furious. This is the most important function for me. Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative option? Do we have the right to cancel since they have taken away the main reason to subscribe?

Sarah N.6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Just to clarify, as far as I understand it is photo albums that will be cancelled after June 30th, so we will not be able to select specific photos into an album to share with clients  AND all the albums built up over the years will disappear after that date -what are they thinking of.

Simone C.9
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

This is also my understanding. I just can't believe it. Is there anything we can do to stop this? 

So photo albums I have shared previously those people will no longer have access to.

Importantly I shared one recently that could be part of a lawsuit - ie to show the album that was shared at the time concerning shoddy workmanship. However I will now not be able to show that I did infact share it at the time

Are there any other companies that offer this sort of service and the other benefits of dropbox?

Simone C.9
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I couldn't agree more. I absolutely rely on being able to share photo albums. And have spent considerable time creating them - and now they are going to DELETE my photo albums.

I am new to this forum as have never had to complain in the past, is there anything that can be done to stop this if enough people complait

I URGE ALL DROPBOX USERS NOT HAPPY WITH THE ABOLISHMENT OF SHARED PHOTO ALBUMS AND DELETION OF ALL OF OUR PHOTO ALBUMS  to POST IN THIS THREAD!! AND ANY OTHERS YOU FIND ON THE WEB

Sarah N.6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I agree..this is a complete travesty. It is the most important function for me. Any options anyone? Maybe we should all get onto their FB page.

Sarah N.6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I suggest everyone gets onto their FB page.

I used to use Flickr who has a better interface for making albums. I will go back an look at that but other suggestions will be great.

Atheo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This news is just one to many! The most stupid thing they could ever come up with as far as I'm concerned. I've been a keen fan of Dropbox for many years but now it seems the time has come to say goodbye!

If they'd atleast offered an explanation and also a way to copy photos listed in an album to a folder and then erasing the album, but no, no such feature! It is more or less impossible to recreate the albums into folders unless one download them all and then upload into folders. Realy crappy!

Simone C.9
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I just posted on DROPBOX facebook page on this issue

Please do the same if the removal of this funtion will affect you

Need more support?