cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARE MY DROPBOX FILES SAVED ON MY COMPUTER HARD DRIVE?

ARE MY DROPBOX FILES SAVED ON MY COMPUTER HARD DRIVE?

Gary F.6
New member | Level 1

I am wondering if an identical copy of my dropbox files are automatically saved on my computer? In other words, if Dropbox crashed would I still be able to access all my files on my computer hard drive?

5 Replies 5

info5
New member | Level 1

yes it is the key feature of Dropbox. normally in a folder named 'dropbox' in your users / files folder (depending on your system

Michiel

STEFANIA C.
New member | Level 1

what if I need to make room in my hard drive and don't want to save those files?

I am a Mac user and have no space at all in the hard drive. My mac says my start up disk is full even if I only save files in dropbox

Rich
Super User II

My mac says my start up disk is full even if I only save files in dropbox

When you save files in the Dropbox folder on your computer, the files exist on your local drive. They will take up disk space.

You can remove folders from your local drive using Selective Sync. Just make sure they have fully uploaded to Dropbox before you remove them locally.

STEFANIA C.
New member | Level 1

Thanks!

where is selective sync?

Rich
Super User II

Within Preferences in the Dropbox client. Click the link in my previous post and it will take you to the help article that explains it.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    STEFANIA C. New member | Level 1
    info5 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?