cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Alphabet navigation on ipad disappeared

Alphabet navigation on ipad disappeared

TroyP
Helpful | Level 6

The alphabet navigation disappeared on our ipad os version 16.7.2, dropbox version 362.7.  We rely on that to navigate the numerous files we have.  How do I get it back?

52 Replies 52

Broadwaymhl
Helpful | Level 6
Hi Ben

I agree with everyone else. If it’s an inconsistent experience, how about making it optional so that people who aren’t enjoying it don’t have to have it there. It’s just too valuable (as you can see from these comments) to just remove. It’s become so frustrating to navigate just with that tiny “scroll bar”!

Broadwaymhl
Helpful | Level 6
I know there is a separate thread about this. Clearly, it’s upsetting a number of your members. There are probably many more who don’t realize it’s gone yet. You never explained why it’s an “inconsistent experience.” If this is the case, perhaps it would be better to get our feedback before just removing it. Or keep it while you figure out how to make it less inconsistent. It’s so frustrating. As you can read, it’s something many of us depend upon to make our work with Dropbox easy and seamless.

Villagekid
Helpful | Level 6

Also Agree. The alpha index is crucial to me. I play in live musical shows and navigating my 300 songs quickly is vital to me. Please bring the index back!!!

Megrnorman
Helpful | Level 6
Hi Ben.
I am the original user who complained over two years ago about the alphabet navigation bar disappearing. I made my original post about it disappearing and explained to your team member, Ray, who then reached back out with some troubleshooting. Unfortunately, an answer/fix did not come until another year when I got a random email from Ray saying that he had fixed the application and gave me instructions to go into settings and to reinstate the alphabet bar. And as you stated it seems about 2 1/2-3 weeks ago it was removed again. When you updated the app, you decided that the alphabet bar was providing an inconsistent experience. Could you please elaborate on the inconsistent experience that it was providing for users, and what troubles they were running into? Can you please provide any information you have in connection with the decision to get rid of the alphabet bar? I know when you are programming sometimes things get overlooked, which is what I believe happened the first time the alphabet bar disappeared, but that does not seem to be the case here. This seems to be an intentional removal which, as you can see, has cause chaos for many users.

Broadwaymhl
Helpful | Level 6
Agreed!! Please figure out a way to bring it back for all the users who depend on it!!

evyncharles
New member | Level 2

You recently removed the actual alphabetical letters (A-Z) from the file view. This has been a very useful feature to me. I use Dropbox on my iPad as a working live musician: All my song sheets are in a folder and I'd been able to jump to a particular letter quickly; for example looking for a song whose title starts with the letter "T," I could quickly tap on the "T" section then scroll to the actual song in another split second. Now you've replaced this with a tiny (tiny, tiny!) scrolling wheel, which is very difficult to use, especially in a live setting where time is of the essence. Please bring back the letters, thank you!

Antanas
New member | Level 2

Hey, where is the Alphabetic index disappeared???
Not having it makes using Dropbox very difficult, so PLEASE restore it! 

Szuccaro
New member | Level 2
We miss the letter grid search bar that we used to have. Inside the folder we can tap a letter and be moved right to the alphabetical section containing the documents.

Sam DBX
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your feedback.

Our team is already working on improvements/adjustments to this feature, expected in the coming months.

We'll keep you posted here.

Thank you,

Sam

Broadwaymhl
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you, Sam.  I just noticed yesterday that not only did the alphabet grid bar disappear, but I don't see the actual scroll bar, making it even more difficult to move quickly through all my files.  Was this a glitch or did you remove that permanently, too?

Need more support?