cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background activity iOS from the mobile app.

Background activity iOS from the mobile app.

AndyVRD
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

Just notice that Dropbox keeps active in the background on iOS, even if i disable it in the settings from iOS. After some testing I found the problem, the integration with the files app causes this problem. If I disable Dropbox within the files app there is no longer background activity from Dropbox. Hope this can be fixed soon because it drains my battery.

109 Replies 109

khcole
Helpful | Level 6

Well, because of this issue and the fact it's been years and DropBox still has not fixed the shortcut issue on iOS devices, I have finally migrated over the OneDrive.  We will be canceling our other employees' user accounts.  Too bad.  Loved DropBox for all these years. But, like most large companies, they quit listening to their customers when they get "big"...

joejoh
New member | Level 2

Towards the end of 2020 and I thought life is miserable enough with pandemic around the world. Woke up late in the morning to find my iPhone X’s battery flat hence no alarm. The phone was switch to flight mode and background app refresh was disabled for Dropbox. From “Battery Usage” statistics, Dropbox was top of the list showing “-”. Switching to “Activity” statistics, that’s where I saw Dropbox still top of the list, showing “59m” throughout the night.
Like some has pointed out, it seems to be iOS issue letting Dropbox to run in background despite setting has disallowed it. Suggest Dropbox to fix this soon. I didn’t face this battery issue until last night. This matter may spread wider suddenly, shunning users from productive use of the app, and their phone.

RememberTilman
Helpful | Level 5

I found Dropbox battery usage was 76 hours in the last ten days. First time my iPad died overnight. Started at 95% charged, but Dropbox started draining the battery right at midnight. 

TheMG
Helpful | Level 6

It's shocking how more and more people seem to be discovering this thread and yet STILL no resolution or offer from DropBox to repair damaged hardware.

Do we need to send a link to news sources to get anyone to pay attention?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for joining the discussion here!

When you have the time, please check out my previous post here for some additional info on this.

I don't have any updates on the matter at the moment, but I can assure you that the team is still working on this.

Please give me a shout if there's anything I can help with in the meantime!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TheMG
Helpful | Level 6

We read your previous post (which, no offense, was absolutely useless, especially being as we still have had no resolution, progress update, etc.

Rather than just suggesting we wait indefinitely for a response, how can we get a manager involved in this conversation?

Rew1
Explorer | Level 4

Another user here who's been experiencing this problem for several months on my 10.5 iPad Pro. I've been searching the web for info about it periodically but finally just stumbled on this thread today. Unfortunately, I use Dropbox for work and rely on the Files integration functionality, so disabling it is a no-go for me, which means I simply have to deal with the battery-killing effect of this bug. Please fix!

koaaa
New member | Level 2

Jumping in here, these are of my ipad in the last 24Hrs.

5ECBE4CF-BD3E-48DC-8BE6-41F31D225260.png07BCAA8E-FADA-44BF-8268-B474F3075F78.png72FC77A5-1294-4CA7-9CC1-75653D261104.png2A182075-0A58-4424-A079-8A0B110FDD23.png

Only this afternoon does the battery usage report 100% for Dropbox, but it is the only app to show up. I have mine set up the same way as the original poster as well, but I have  not turned off my Files app integration with Dropbox yet (even though it looks like I have to).

What I find odd is that the battery usage shows Dropbox clearly being the only app open and a severe battery drain, but it does not report the percentage, nor does it show Files involvement.

TheMG
Helpful | Level 6

I don't think the files app actually ever shows up there (I just looked under the 10 day history and don't see it at all).  Guessing it's represented under Settings or something (or who knows maybe a glaring omission by Apple).

But unlinking dropbox (and turning off all it's other junk (ex. running in the background)) seems to have fixed the rapid drain... except for the fact that my battery is pretty fried now (seems to have permanently lost about half it's capacity and now won't even last a full day).

I was hoping Dropbox would do the honorable thing and reach out, but when I get time was thinking about reaching out to alert one of the tech news sources to get some more attention to the issue or put the bug in one of those class action lawyers' ears.

singhs
New member | Level 2

Me too experiencing the same issue, Thanks for the context of the integration with the file app and sharing the patch. It doesn't seem like Dropbox is ever going to fix this. They are getting worse and worst day by day in every single way possible.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Jaeyeok New member | Level 2
    kim_take Explorer | Level 3
    Ccurrie New member | Level 2
    TheMG Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?