cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray. Dropbox now looks offline all the ti

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

334 Replies 334

mbarnsdale
New member | Level 2

I am among the many voices speaking out against the from the green "okay" icon to the new "bold/unbold" icon. For the since the change, I've had to keep opening the notification box to verify my dropbox is up to date. It was only when I saw Dropbox finally syncing did I realize there had been a change... that or the check had been broken. When I saw that it was on all my computers, I then realized the icon had been changed somehow, although I wasn't sure what it looked like when it wasn't up to date. I think a more clear indicator would be a much better idea than bold and unbold... something that pops when you do a cursory glance like we previously had. I'm sure that most here are unopposed to change, but I think what most are resisting is a change for the worse rather then better.

giantkin
Explorer | Level 4

I thought the dropbox wasnt working.

I didnt know they took away the green mark, that i can easily see.

Maybe this is a way for them to get ppl to change to another setup?

im starting to look.

GregAmy
Helpful | Level 7
As with new editors at magazines, someone probably got a new job and HAD TO MAKE A CHANGE to make their mark (kinda like a cat peeing all over a new house). Doesn't matter what, or how silly it is, but needed to change SOMETHING to mark their existence. So despite how "daft" this change is (as described above) they did this. Why? Just because. Congrats on your new position. BTW, we don't like you.

Jeff6
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox

Are you out of your mind?

I am paying you almost 10 USD every month for your service many years. AND now what you did? 

Use a bit your brain and consider a bit for your users ok?

Whe you didn't inform the usuers and what's the purpose or cancelling the tick?

If you want to close your business, yes, this is a good start though.

Good luck.

Unhappy user

Sanh
New member | Level 2

Absolutely bring back the green check!  I've been fooling with this all week, wondering what was wrong.  Kept trying to re-install.

Use it for a quick check to make sure my computer is ONLINE!  Have had tons of difficulty with internet connection here, and that was my 'go to' quick check!  If the green box was there, I was A-Okay!

It does show blue as we're powering up, then goes away completely.  After all, we are paying for this service, seems like a little green box is the least you can provide, along with your great service.

Thank you for considering for your avid supporters!

MT

Sanh

Sanh
New member | Level 2

BTW.....HOW do we 'upvote'?  I did a 'like' to the intial post on this blog, but is there something else to do?

MT

Sanh

travis k.1
Helpful | Level 5

where did the green check mark go now I look at it and I am thinking my internet is not connected because that is how I always knew it was connected.

Why would you remove it I can't think of a single reason to remove this feature.

lestersk
Helpful | Level 6

@CSX321 That worked for me I now have my Green Tick / Green Checkmark back. DB-OK.jpg

Thank you for the pointer.

Steps:

1) Use Resource Hacker to extract the icon from Dropbox.exe Icon Group 201 (smallest one 16x16)

2) Edit icon with Icon Editor, I used Greenfish Icon Editor to add a green tick (I also added a black boarder to the green tick for contrast)

3) Use Resource Hacker to Replace New Icon

4) Save Dropbox.exe (You might have to use accesible folders depending on your folder permissions)

Cheslab
Explorer | Level 4

Furthermore the new icon is smaller than the old one and it is ugly on 4k display (retina-like display):

db-new-icon.PNG

travis k.1
Helpful | Level 5

@lestersk Thank you so much for this, any chance you can upload the icon you made for us? 

Maybe post the dropbox link hehe 🙂 

thanks so much!

Need more support?