cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't move my Dropbox folder to another drive

Can't move my Dropbox folder to another drive

peterjj12346
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a Mac Pro running 10.11.6. I have five internal drives in my Mac Pro, all traditional Mac OS Journaled (etc.). I'm retiring one of my internal drives, one that my Dropbox files are stored on, so I'm trying to move the files from one internal drive to another, by using Preferences > Account > Dropbox location.

The original hard drive has 56GB available. The destination drive has 335GB available. My dropbox is about 16GB.

Whenever I do it, the progress bar continues (Moving Dropbox (x / 20060 files)) until close to the end, when I get an error message: "Error moving Dropbox. Unexpected errors ocurred. Your Dropbox is ok!"

I've tried it multiple times, and have also tried restarting the computer. I also tried simply copying it over manually (it copies fine). But if I do the manual copy, I don't know how to tell Dropbox to "bless" the new location.

Any ideas?

31 Replies 31

Windspeed
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi,

No one in Community seemed able to answer my question so I asked the question of Dropbox Support and they have given me my answer thank you.
Not sure what to do now. How do I close this off? I didn't really get a solution that will help anyone else so don't want to tick 'Accept as solution' but should I end the 'thread' somehow?
Regards
Chris

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Windspeed

Thanks for letting me know! 

I'll just leave this here in case someone has the same question, so that they reference this thread. 

Should you need further help, please contact us at any time! 

Warm regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mangi k. New member | Level 1
    DaveC2 New member | Level 1
    Stefan M.1 New member | Level 1
    Neil T.2 New member | Level 1
    j w.13 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?