cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Disable automatic updates

Disable automatic updates

Mike G.
New member | Level 1

How can I prevent dropbox from automatically updating itself? The new dropbox 3 has a very anti-windows-7 UI that I don't like, so I reinstalled 2.10. How do I stop dropbox from continually installing v3?

93 Replies 93

protagonistic
Helpful | Level 6

As has been mentioned earlier it isn't hard to prevent Dropbox from auto updating with a firewall but that isn't the point for me. I shouldn't have to do that. I will leave the program off my system untul they allow me to cahnge that in the settings. I have other program options to use it and don't need their program. If you really need their program you should also be able to keep it from phoning home if you use a good firewall.

Rich
Super User II

Kurt F.3 wrote:

I already have to go through a significant amount of pain with Windows 10 to prevent it from automatically updating itself

Disable one service and it prevents Windows 10 updates, allowing you to download and install them on your own schedule. It will prompt you regularly when there are updates, but it won't install them until you tell it to.

Kurt F.3
New member | Level 2

@Rich wrote:

Disable one service and it prevents Windows 10 updates, allowing you to download and install them on your own schedule. It will prompt you regularly when there are updates, but it won't install them until you tell it to.

Thanks for the hint.  I require more control than being able to select when Windows performs updates, though.  I require to be able to select which updates I want.

My solution was to disable the service as you mention, to prevent Windows from automatically performing updates.  When I do want to check and install updates, I use Windows Update Minitool (WUMT) to do it.  If you google it you will find the program - it's written by a Russian and the offical site is unfortunately not in english.  There is a more or less official english language thread for it here.  When you run it, if the Windows Update service is disabled then WUMT will automatically start it.  It then takes control of the service and will only allow it to do what the program tells it to do.  This works fairly well, but unfortunately WUMT doesn't automatically shut down and re-disable the servivce again when it terminates.  If you do it manually you have to be fairly quick about it, or else Windows will start using the service to do its own stuff after the program shuts down.  You also can't trust the Windows service manager to accurately tell you that the service is shut down.  I've shut it down manually and disabled it and had it show as both shut down and disabled, but where the process is actually still running.  I wrote a script that runs WUMT and then automatically terminates and re-disables the service when WUMT finishes.  Even so, after an update session I will reboot the computer to to make sure Windows Update is well and truly dead.

That's what I meant when I said I already have to go through pain to keep control of Windows Update.  I have to go through that pain.  I don't have to go through the pain for Dropbox, and I refuse to.

If anyone from Dropbox is following this thread, don't laugh off the criminal threat.  Ramsomeware is BIG business, and a company that has unfettered admin access to hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of computers is a big target.

protagonistic
Helpful | Level 6

I still provide Windows support to a few people but I stopped using it a long time ago because it was just too much of a hassle. I don't mind fixing other peoples Windows problems but I expect my system to work.   🙂   But I want to reiterate my comment about a good firewall. I keep track of where my system is connecting to as much as possible. Most of my applications require approval every time I run them. Which is why I caught Adobe Flash trying to auto update without my approval. It couldn't do it because I was not there to approve the connection. The firewall is a good tool only if you are willing to take the time to be proactive about security. I initially blocked dropbox that way but since I shouldn't have to do that I just uninstalled the program and use other tools to move files in and out.

Anyway, I don't like auto updates and I don't like applications phoning home without my knowledge.

KJL
New member | Level 2

This will cause me to move away from Dropbox.    I had no idea that it auto-updated.   My bad.

akseeker
Helpful | Level 6

I agree, my glacially-slow internet connection requires I schedule my own updates. Can't you simply have the app let me know when an update is available instead of just downloading it? As it currently acts, it interrupts other functions and interrupts my workflow...

akseeker
Helpful | Level 6
On a Mac: and why can't I edit my posts? 🙂

protagonistic
Helpful | Level 6
When you click on the three dots tp the right of the date you post you should get a menu that has edit in it. It works on my Mac and should on yours.

Is Dropbox still updating without asking? I removed it several months ago and won't be installing it back as long as it does that.

akseeker
Helpful | Level 6

There's no edit option in that menu:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1g93snxbj23fwp/Screenshot%202017-09-27%2015.59.57.png?dl=0 (dropbox link)

Ah, but if it's a new post, like this one, there IS an edit option!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozv3hbbfdq7a25t/Screenshot%202017-09-27%2016.05.52.png?dl=0 (dropbox link)

Thanks!

(unfortunately copy/pasted images don't appear to show up here…)

stylin19
New member | Level 2

What I have found is, the dropbox update is a scheduled task.

go to control panel/administrative tools

select: task scheduler

select : Task Scheduler Library

there should be a couple of drop box items in there to include drop box update.  you can disable them.

or

you can select the item(s) and change the trigger and\or the run schedule - look thru all the tabs for whatever.

You do whatever you do at you own risk.

When in doubt, don't or ask. 

Go slow.

Good Luck.

Just an FYI... I  uninstalled drop box.

Need more support?