cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

wwmiller3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 processor and I cannot seem to get a native install of Dropbox for this chipset. From searching the community, it seems like M1 support should be available in the latest installer. However, trying that plus the latest beta build all ask me to install Rosetta during installation. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Warren

184 Replies 184

Wvp
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@mbingel I agree and I'm going to try it also. I mainly work on my Intel iMac but also have an M1 Macbook for when I'm not near my iMac. Maestral on the Macbook would be a great solution to keep the folders in sync because the folders I need synced locally are limited to active project folders.

nell_wackwitz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Macs have been running on ARM processors for almost a year. Does anyone know the expected release date for the native ARM version for Dropbox?

Jacob D.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is not a priority for Dropbox.

I'm getting used to working without the Dropbox app installed, as there are more efficient options available now that weren't when I started using Dropbox. I don't plan to wait any longer, I've adapted my workflows adequately to work without Dropbox Pro any longer.

Mannaffolki
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@nell_wackwitz Try never.

alexyangjie
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

After more than a year of the Apple Silicon announcement and many months after Apple Silicon Macs have been released, Dropbox still doesn't provide a native version. It is now obvious to me that they have abandoned the Apple ecosystem. So I decided to abandon Dropbox. Today I found that Google Drive already has a Apple Silicon native version, and it supports all the functions I use with Dropbox, and I made the switch. 

Goodbye Dropbox. You had your chances, but failed to deliver. 

Jann G.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Just an FYI: I cancelled my "DropBox Pro" or whatever the h*ll they call it.

They had me since the day they first started pay services. (they had me before that, but that's neither here-nor-there).

I added up the amount I paid and found that Synology - sitting on my desk - was a better solution. They have ALL the same sharing capabilities and - OUTSIDE of "offsite" which I'm not worried about - is EASILY the same price.

Just my $.02

Jann

JOfE
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

I agree there should be an announcement. But counter to everyone leaving dropbox for not providing an M1 native version, Dropbox runs just fine on an M1 Mac.  I don't notice a single difference in the response or function of Droxbox from an Intel to an M1 Mac. And trust me, my Dropbox capacity is 50x the average user. 

sebax
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hey. Can you please share which solution you implemented? I’m willing to leave Dropbox cause I can’t keep waiting another (paid) year for them to decide to make this work.

PG2003
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dear Dropbox team,  

I just want to get a few words off of my chest. 

This thread has started in February, 7 months ago, myself and many, many others have waited patiently for some sort of feedback from you on this matter but with each passing month it has become increasingly and painfully clear that our queries and worries are of zero importance to you and that we have neither deserved your attention nor your reply. Your silence during these past 7 months is a obvious sign of contempt towards us as customers and/or users and in my humble opinion, totally unacceptable and disprespectful. As it is abundently clear that you do not need or perhpas even want us as customers/users, I too have decided to stop using Dropbox and move on to a different cloud service.

Goodbye and thanks for the 10 years of service.

rmatec
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Surely you are aware than using Rosetta consumes a lot more CPU and memory and than translates to a slower Mac and less battery hours.
I don’t know you but for me that is a deal breaker which is the reason why I moved away from Dropbox.
Need more support?