cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Desktop App crashing on Windows 8

Dropbox Desktop App crashing on Windows 8

Josh M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have several users who are noticing that their Dropbox App completely crashes on Windows 8 and they are off line. We have tried to restart the app and nothing happens. Only solution is to reinstall dropbox on top of itself. I have performed this several times, but today I had a user that required this step again (3 hours after the first reinstall) we have several hundred gigs of data on each users machine, so wiping and reinstalling is a last stop for us.

Any suggestions to what is causing this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ritu V.
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Mike R. we checked your error logs and it looks like Dropbox on your machine might be running into a bug that was fixed in later builds - can you try the newer build at https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/203362409-Experimental-Build-3-9-31 and let us know if that works for you?

View solution in original post

33 Replies 33

Not applicable
Go to solution

Hello Josh. Would you please clarify for us the version of Dropbox that you are running and the exact version of Windows 8? Thanks.

Josh M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Windows 8.1 x64 based sysem KB30112199
Dropbox v.3.1.264

We believe this issue is being caused by a Windows update. Each time a user on 8.1 has updated in the last week or so we have seen this issue happen. We had another user have dropbox completely quit on them and we had to install it and are spending hours to have it index.

Josh M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Just had a 4th user go down with a similar issue. All of a sudden dropbox app quit and we had to reinstall and watch a several hour index happen. We are on unstable builds because of business account, we need to get off of these builds if this keeps happening, but we cannot opt out now

John L.2
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Josh,

Are there any error messages you can provide? Is the Dropbox icon just disappearing, or are there some error messages that you see?

Thanks,
John

Josh M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

John - no error message just not running. When we try to relaunch it, it is like the app isn't there any more, although it is installed. We have to reinstall it on top of itself to get it run and then the indexing starts

Kirk W.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm experiencing the same issue. Windows 8.1 and the Dropbox App was quitting after a few minutes of starting up / indexing (icon would disappear from the bottom-right corner of task bar). I was using 3.4.1 but then saw there was an update to 3.4.4 so I installed that update but the problem persists. Not sure how to fix or whether its a compatibility issue with something else on my machine.

Mark H.78
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have a Windows 8.1 pro VM that also experiences this behavior. The icon appears, seems to work for a while then is gone.

Kind of a bad deal for me as I use DropBox to keep this Win 8.1 VM in sync for remote development purposes. Hope there is a fix soon.

Mark H.78
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have to add, that I have another Windows 8.1 Pro real machine running a core i7 that dropbox 3.4.6 runs just fine on.

David H.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm seeing similar as well on my Win 8.1 Surface Pro 3. Dropbox crashes at some point with no error and it isn't until I notice that the icon is missing from the notification area, or that I don't see an updated file that I was expected that I realize it. In most cases I'm able to just relaunch, but occasionally it requires a reboot even after verifying that there is no Dropbox related executable in Task Manager. There is nothing telling in Event Viewer, nor is there anything in the logs folder in the Dropbox AppData directory. Is there a way to enable logging on Dropbox so I can try to capture an exception for you?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mario K. New member | Level 2
    Амгалан Б. New member | Level 1
    John H.135 New member | Level 1
    John M.63 New member | Level 1
    Daniel F.32 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?