cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Location Change on MacOS 12.6

Dropbox Location Change on MacOS 12.6

OldMacGuy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Just installed DropBox update v157.4.4808 on a MacbookPro 13,3 running MacOS 12.6.  DropBox location was moved by installer to ~/library/CloudStorage and alias moved from "Favorites" to "Locations" in sidebar.  DropBox support doc "https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-faqs" says new location due to change in MacOS.  HOWEVER, installed same DropBox version on an iMac 18,3 running MacOS 12.6 and the location did not change!  DropBox alias remains in "Favorites".

Anyone else run across this discrepancy?

Anyone have an idea as to cause of this discrepancy?

72 Replies 72

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @podusa, currently, if you're on the new version of the Dropbox desktop application, it wouldn't be possible to move the Dropbox folder to an external drive (or any other location) as this feature is no longer supported by macOS

We wouldn't have any information on if this would be possible in future releases of the desktop app. 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

podusa
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thank you for the answer, Jay.
Can you use an older version of the client or are they discontinued?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Downgrading to an older version of the app wouldn't help in this instance, since the app itself would automatically update to the latest version more or less immediately. 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

benjackson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same - in music and video production, just not useable without all the files being local on an external drive. 

benjackson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It is no longer supported by macOS but there is a way around it on other cloud services. Using symlinks. 

Looks like it is time to switch!

mscottpath
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've used Dropbox since its earliest days.  The inability to have the Dropbox folder on an external drive is crazy in todays world where Apple's default is a <1 TB SSD drive.  I'm often in locations with no/poor wireless connectivity as well as having some very large files and need local access. So far (though it is still early in the life of OS 13) other cloud services (e.g., Sync.com) do not seem to demand this change.  Between Apples high price for SSDs (and the stupid inability to upgrade local internal local storage post purchase) and Dropbox stating they can't solve this issue, Dropbox will no longer be a viable option.  I'll likely not renew my 2 TB Dropbox account because of this. 

podusa
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
What a FIASCO, haha. Whoever made this decision should be fired.

mf88
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Has Dropbox even explained the reason for this change?

Seems like they’re going to force me and many others to cancel our paid Dropbox plans, which is probably not what they want. It’s not even like they have a new, higher-priced product that they’re trying to push us towards.

Are they just lazy about addressing and solving the issue, or are they that ignorant of their customers’ needs?

Or, is it truly a new limitation on Apple’s part? If so, is Dropbox working on a workaround solution? If they are, they should have someone knowledgeable reach out and let us know before we all cancel our paid Dropbox accounts.

benjackson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It is a limit of newer versions of macOS, but there are also workarounds on other cloud services (using symlinks).

However, my experience is that it's not consistent. I have a hackintosh running the latest macOS 12.6 up until a few days ago, and it did not force my dropbox to move. I have the same experience on my MacBook Pro 16" M1 Pro. One of my user accounts still has the Dropbox connected to an external SSD. So it's obviously still possible. Dropbox FORCES the change sometimes, and definitely with a new install.

podusa
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I agree on everything in mf88's post.

I mean, who's going to subscribe or need these bigger plans with a lot of storage, not being able to store its content on an external drive? (Especially Mac-users with its limited internal HD-space, as being mentioned I earlier posts). If it just going to be an online "cloudstorage service" there are much cheaper/better options. This is by FAR the most terrible business-decision I've seen. Ever. (

Need more support?